Summary: Chapter Ideas 1:2-4 -1. HOW DO YOU COPE? 2:8 - 2. HOW DO YOU SEE? 3:2 - 3 HOW DO YOU REACT? 4:1-3, 11-12 - 4. HOW DO YOU RESTORE? 5:7,11,16 5. HOW DO YOU WORSHIP?
Book of James
What do people like when they go to the movies
- 9 out the top 10 moves of all time are Action/Adventure
- We desire a life of adventure moving us along on it’s cutting edge
Bible Prominent Theme – Action/Adventure with God
Way to God and the Walk with God
- From Gen to Rev – Stories of Action/Adventure
- Epistles help us to live the Adventure with its various focus
Romans – 2 Thes – Christian Churches
1 Tim – Philemon Christian Leaders
Heb. – Rev – Christian People (Jews in particular)
Hebrews stresses –Faith- HOPE
James insist on – ACTION
Peter – HOPE
2 Peter – GROWETH
1-3 John –LOVE
Jude – STRIVE
Revelation – OVERCOME
JAMES: Practical truth and application of the Word of God.
Written to those that are scattered – v.1:1
Leaving this place to live out your faith in the world you live in
Action/Adventure in daily living
How To Live Out Your Faith
• Our walk
• My Attitude
• Your character
D. L. Moody said, "Character is what you are in the dark
- Not by comparing yourself to other people but by comparing yourself to the word of God
HOW’S MY WALK? -
1. HOW DO YOU COPE?
- How you handle problems
• Do they blow you away?
• Do you get nervous,
• Uptight, • Negative?
• Do you grumble and gripe?
- Christianity is a life
- It's not a religion, it's a life.
- Jesus - “I am come that you ......”
- Life means problems,
- Part of life means solving problems - Facing them with the right attitude.
- Are you Positive? - Supportive?
Thankful? - Affirmative?
2 HOW DO YOU SEE?
- Seeing more then your needs
- Reaching out to people
3 HOW DO YOU REACT?
- Dr. Examination is look into your mouth to examine health
- WWII saying “Loose lips, sink ships
- Words & Gossip hurt
- Self control is tongue control
- James says like rudder, bit, spark, Snake, spring
- Tactfulness sign of maturity
4. HOW DO YOU RESTORE?
A peacemaker? Or a troublemaker?
Do I like to argue?
Am I a contentious person?
Do I get my feelings hurt?
Do I get defensive easily?
Do I hurt other people's feelings?
Am I a peacemaker? Or troublemaker
- Conflict in life
- Why Conflict?
- Jam 4:2-3
- Having “I” trouble
- Why should I not judge?
1. I'm not God.
2. God has all the facts
3. I don't know the motives
5. HOW DO YOU WORSHIP?
- What you love
- Desiring instant gratifcation
- As a farmer waits for crops
- Only way to learn patience - Wait
- Not yet does not mean NO
- Meanwhile - PRAY
- Ex. Elijah
"How do you rate your WALK?
None of us can fool God. He knows exactly what's in our heart.
ARE YOU POSITIVE UNDER PRESSURE?
- Change my attitude? - from an attitude of griping gratefulness?"
- Help me handle the problems - and not be negative
- Teach me to be positive under pressure."
ARE YOU SENSITIVE TO OTHERS?
Insensitive to my wife. To my kids. Insensitive hurts and needs and problems."
HAVE YOU MSTERED YOUR MOUTH?
Some of you need to say, "God, I'm sorry. I've been a gossip. I've spread rumors.
I've talked behind backs.
I've shared things that were not positive, were not for the building up but for the tearing down.
God, help me to not be so impulsive with my mouth
Help me to watch my speech
ARE YOU A PEACEMAKER INSTEAD OF A TROUBLEMAKER?
I've got a temper - I've got pride in my life, I judge other people.
WHO OR WHAT DO I WORSHIP?
Are you patient and prayerful about life? Some of you have been waiting a long time for an answer, for a change, for a healing. Say, "God, help me to grow in patience. Help me to develop my prayer life, to talk to
Start today to “Walk Your Talk”