Summary: Chapter Ideas 1:2-4 -1. HOW DO YOU COPE? 2:8 - 2. HOW DO YOU SEE? 3:2 - 3 HOW DO YOU REACT? 4:1-3, 11-12 - 4. HOW DO YOU RESTORE? 5:7,11,16 5. HOW DO YOU WORSHIP?
Book of James
What do people like when they go to the movies
- 9 out the top 10 moves of all time are Action/Adventure
- We desire a life of adventure moving us along on it’s cutting edge
Bible Prominent Theme – Action/Adventure with God
Way to God and the Walk with God
- From Gen to Rev – Stories of Action/Adventure
- Epistles help us to live the Adventure with its various focus
Romans – 2 Thes – Christian Churches
1 Tim – Philemon Christian Leaders
Heb. – Rev – Christian People (Jews in particular)
Hebrews stresses –Faith- HOPE
James insist on – ACTION
Peter – HOPE
2 Peter – GROWETH
1-3 John –LOVE
Jude – STRIVE
Revelation – OVERCOME
JAMES: Practical truth and application of the Word of God.
Written to those that are scattered – v.1:1
Leaving this place to live out your faith in the world you live in
Action/Adventure in daily living
How To Live Out Your Faith
• Our walk
• My Attitude
• Your character
D. L. Moody said, "Character is what you are in the dark
- Not by comparing yourself to other people but by comparing yourself to the word of God
HOW’S MY WALK? -
1. HOW DO YOU COPE?
- How you handle problems
• Do they blow you away?
• Do you get nervous,
• Uptight, • Negative?
• Do you grumble and gripe?
- Christianity is a life
- It's not a religion, it's a life.
- Jesus - “I am come that you ......”
- Life means problems,
- Part of life means solving problems - Facing them with the right attitude.
- Are you Positive? - Supportive?
Thankful? - Affirmative?
2 HOW DO YOU SEE?
- Seeing more then your needs
- Reaching out to people
3 HOW DO YOU REACT?
- Dr. Examination is look into your mouth to examine health
- WWII saying “Loose lips, sink ships
- Words & Gossip hurt
- Self control is tongue control
- James says like rudder, bit, spark, Snake, spring
- Tactfulness sign of maturity
4. HOW DO YOU RESTORE?
A peacemaker? Or a troublemaker?
Do I like to argue?
Am I a contentious person?
Do I get my feelings hurt?
Do I get defensive easily?
Do I hurt other people's feelings?
Am I a peacemaker? Or troublemaker
- Conflict in life
- Why Conflict?
- Jam 4:2-3
- Having “I” trouble
- Why should I not judge?
1. I'm not God.
2. God has all the facts
3. I don't know the motives
5. HOW DO YOU WORSHIP?
- What you love
- Desiring instant gratifcation
- As a farmer waits for crops
- Only way to learn patience - Wait
- Not yet does not mean NO
- Meanwhile - PRAY
- Ex. Elijah
"How do you rate your WALK?
None of us can fool God. He knows exactly what's in our heart.
ARE YOU POSITIVE UNDER PRESSURE?
- Change my attitude? - from an attitude of griping gratefulness?"
- Help me handle the problems - and not be negative
- Teach me to be positive under pressure."
ARE YOU SENSITIVE TO OTHERS?
Insensitive to my wife. To my kids. Insensitive hurts and needs and problems."