Summary: The Beatitudes introduces a pattern or principles to guide our life. They deal with inward attitudes. Our key to the Kingdom of God
Last January we memorized & studied Ps 1
Psalm 1:1 (AV)
1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.
- This January we will memorize & study Mt. 5:3-12
- Jesus core message is the Kingdom of Heaven/God
Mark 1:14–15 (AV)
14 Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee, preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God,
15 And saying, The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand: repent ye, and believe the gospel.
- Mary given the announcement of Jesus birth
Luke 1:33 (AV)
33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.
- Jesus purpose in his preaching
Luke 4:43 (AV)
43 And he said unto them, I must preach the kingdom of God to other cities also: for therefore am I sent.
- Message to Nicodemus
John 3:3 (AV)
3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
- John the Baptist preparing the way for Jesus
Matthew 3:2 (AV)
2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Matthew 4:17 (AV)
17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
- Jesus used parables over and over again on the Kingdom of Heaven
- Words like “the kingdom of heaven is like…”
Matthew 13:44 (AV)
44 Again, the kingdom of heaven is like unto treasure hid in a field; the which when a man hath found, he hideth, and for joy thereof goeth and selleth all that he hath, and buyeth that field.
1 Corinthians 2:9 (AV)
9 But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.
- To inherit a Kingdom
Matthew 25:34 (AV)
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:
- Moses had this upward look of the Kingdom of heaven
Hebrews 11:24–26 (AV)
24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter;
25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.
Mt. 5 - Matthew introduces the teaching of Jesus with the Sermon on the Mount (5-7)
- Sermon On the Mount is the starting point & summation of Jesus teaching
- The law was first given on Mount Sinai – Ex 19
- Do not approach with warnings of Fire earthquake thunder thick cloud & smoke with long trumpet blast
- Here Christ encourage to approach with explanation on the sermon on the Mount
- The preacher Jesus directed to His sermon to His congregation His disciples – Mt. 5:1
He starts His message with the Beatitudes
- The word "beatitude" comes from Latin meaning "blessedness
- Easy to guess the theme “Blessed”
- Blessed comes from the word bless – “held in reverence”, “to consecrate”, “make holy”, “give thanks”
- 2nd meaning is - "supremely happy, blessed”
- Greek means “fortunate” or “happy”
- From a root word meaning “lengthy”
- Does not make much sense to go from poverty to persecution
- Better understanding is being on the right path or the way the Lord wants us to go
- Living by your own wits is losing your way
- Beatitudes introduces a pattern or principles to guide our life
- They deal inward attitudes
QUESTION: are they instructions on how to get into the Kingdom
Or are they instructions on how to enjoy the Kingdom
Each Beatitude has: (a.) A cause
(b.) A description of the person character
- A summery to the Gospel
- Note the brackets of the beginning and ending
- The start and end with the Kingdom of Heaven
- Carried through in the Sermon on the Mount
- Note the importance of the Kingdom of Heaven
Matthew 5:19 (AV)
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
- A focus order for our life