Summary: ❶ World Panic ❷ Controlling Panic ❸ Defeating Panic ❹ Panic Free
7 And they asked him, saying, Master, but when shall these things be? and what sign will there be when these things shall come to pass?
26 Men’s hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.
- Jan 15/09 Declared as the “Miracle in New York,” US Airbus 320 rescue from the Hudson River
- Sullenburger credited for saving 155 lives
- America is looking for heros and hope
- 1/20/09 - Inauguration statement from the Toronto Star - America now has hope rather than fear. The world is tasting hope rather than fear. Faith moves mountains. Fear destroys.
❶ World Panic
- Fear is an emotional response to threats and danger.
- Fear is a basic survival mechanism of escape and avoidance
- (EU Observer 1/22/09) EU civil unrest
- Riots over the economic crisis erupt in Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Bulgaria and Greece.
- At risk Hungary, Ukraine, and Belarus.
- International Monetary Fund, Dominique Strauss-Kahn
- "The situation is really, really serious”
- Iceland’s PM resigns under growing pressure from a financial collapse
❷ Controlling Panic
- One disciple had betrayed Him;
- Another had denied Him, under the solemn sanction of an oath; - - The rest had forsaken Him
- Thomas - John 20:25KJV .... Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
1. We Have Heard - Recognize the OT Promise
10 The sceptre shall not depart from Judah, nor a lawgiver from between his feet, until Shiloh come; and unto him shall the gathering of the people be.
6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.
5 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth. 6 In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely: and this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS.
On the Emmaus Road
27 And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.
2. We Have Seen - His Teaching & Work
- Sin, Forgiveness, Life, Hope
- Blind, Lame, Leper, Dead
3. We Have Looked Upon - Arrest, Trial & Crucifixion
- Mockery, Suffering, Scoffing, Brutality, Death
4. We Have Handled - Proof of His Resurrection
- Witness - Joyful celebration — fulness of the Spirit
- Possessed their life until the world could stand it no more
Stephen - Stoned
James brother of John - Beheaded
Philip - Crucified
Matthew - Speared & hacked to death
James , the ½ brother of Jesus - stoned & clubbed to death
Matthias - Stoned then beheaded
Andrew - Crucified (St. Andrew’s Cross
Peter - Crucified upside down
Paul - Beheaded
Jude - Crucified
Bartholomew - Beaten then crucified
Thomas - Speared to death
Luke - Hanged
Simon the Zealot - Crucified
John - Only one who died of old age
❸ Defeating Panic
What is from the beginning?
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
1. The Truth of His Word
160 Thy word is true from the beginning: and every one of thy righteous judgments endureth for ever.
2. Eternal Wisdom
22 The LORD possessed me in the beginning of his way, before his works of old.
23 I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, or ever the earth was.
❹ Panic Free
WORD “logos” - to point out God’s reason or plan which coordinates a changing universe.
- Through Him all things are made
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
God incarnate, Jn 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.