Summary: Meditation: What is it? How I respond to it according to the Word. Plus the promise results of meditation
In 29 TV shows - 27 Movies - Produced 7 – Directed another 4
12 Actress Awards - Nominated for 17 more
Golden Globe awards, lifetime honoree
"Jodie Foster was here, I still am, and I want to be seen, to be understood deeply, and to be not so very lonely."
Worth $125 million – Best Sportsmen of the year – 1999-2003
Best Male Athlete, Best Comeback Athlete, Appeared in 3 films
- Now 11 Grand Tours withdraw=ssn
- Spent years vehemently denying using banned performance-enhancing drugs
- Cheated & lied
- Ruthless in using and abusing friends & teammates
- He was desperate for attention and money"
- Now without respect nor friends
Their delights left them empty
What Is The Law? – Ps. 19
Not the Mosaic, nor the ceremonial law
Wisdom of the Lord
- v. 7 Law (instruction Teaching) - How to know life right
- v. 7 Testimony (Giving Witness) – How to start life right
- v. 8 Statutes (Rules, directions to guide) - How to keep life right
- v. 8 Commandment – (Placing in order) - How to live life right
- v. 9 Fear (Respect, Reverence, Aw) – How to see life right
- v. 9-10 Judgments – How to enjoy life right - Determining what is right & best
- Is to focus one’s thoughts on Christ : To reflect on or ponder over Him
- Proverbs 23:7 (AV)
7 For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: …
- “The reason we come away so cold from reading the Word is because we do not warm ourselves at the fire of meditation.” (Thomas Watson)
Ps. 1:2 meditation is not associated with yoga, TM, relaxation therapy, or the New Age Movement.
- Biblical meditation differs in several ways from its worldly counterpart.
1. The world says “empty your mind” – The Bible says “fill your mind with God’s Word”.
Colossians 3:16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom;.....
2. The world calls for mental passivity – “disconnect” - The Word calls us to mental activity – “connect with the truth”.
3. The world’s mantra is “create your own reality” - God’s mandate is to think on “whatsoever things are true” – Phil. 4:8
How Do You Respond to God's Word?
- Mt 13:1-9 - A return to where the Word is sown
- Four Types of Responders:
• The Mistaken Mind
- Hard , unbelieving mind no time to mediate or study & grow roots
- No foundation or knowledge of God's promises
- Without meditating we don’t apply what we hear.
• The Muddled Mind.
- Gets excited but faith is temporary
- Superficial mind involved with the culture
- There is difficulty to withstand the harshness of life.
• The Misinformed Mind.
- The focus is here & now
- A preoccupied mind has little or no room for God's Word to sprout and thrive.
- Full of clutter worries of life are to the Christian heart what briers, thorns, and thickets are to a garden.
• The Meditating Mind.
- Open to receive
- Committed to the obedience of the Word