Summary: How small I am yet how great He is over & beyond this mighty universe and He is my shepherd
- Sheep require more attention than any other livestock.
- They just can’t take care of themselves.
- A shepherd with his flocks was completely responsible for their EVERYTHING - good pasture, still water (sheep are afraid of running noisy streams), care, discipline, and protection from every type of danger from poison plants, wild animal attack, to sheep rustlers
- David speaks of the Lord as his shepherd
MY – the most intimate words in this Psalm
- Six verses 6x – 1,3,5,6
- ME – 7x in ever verse after the first one
- These words are both personal & possessive
- David is boasting aloud – “Look at who my shepherd is”
- He calls upon the Lord to be his EVERYTHING
Have you ever just stopped to imagine for a while just how "big and powerful" our God is?
1 O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
1 The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.
3 When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained; 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
There are 6,000 stars visible to the naked eye
- That's less than the grains of sand we can hold in our hand (about 10,000 grains of sand)
- 100 – 400 billion stars in our galaxy
- There are at least 100 stars in the universe for every grain of sand on earth
17 What is man, that thou shouldest magnify him? and that thou shouldest set thine heart upon him? 18 And that thou shouldest visit him every morning, and try him every moment?
One Millions Earths would fill a hollow sun
It is 93 million miles to the sun,
- Would take eight minutes to get there
traveling at the speed of light which is 186,282 miles per second.
- Reaching Mars today about 6 months
- Traveling at the speed of light 3 min.
- Edge of the Solar System 5½ hr.
The nearest star (Proxima Centauri [Latin proxima: meaning 'next to' or 'nearest to'])
- 4.5 light years away
- Diameter of our galaxy is 100,000 light years.
-If you took a sheet of paper and let the thickness of that paper equal 93 million miles (the distance to the sun)
- To go through a ream of paper (500 sheets) would take 3.3 days
- You would need a stack of papers 71 feet high Over a 4 story building) to represent the distance to the nearest star - You would need a stack of paper 310 miles high to represent the diameter of our galaxy. (Roughly desistance from Elkins To Philadelphia - Over 6 hours d rive time)
22 As the host of heaven cannot be numbered, neither the sand of the sea measured: so will I multiply the seed of David my servant, and the Levites that minister unto me.
The European Space Agency's (ESA) X-ray Multi-Mirror Mission (XMM-Newton)
- Two of the largest galaxy clusters in the universe discovered - 1/13/11
- The Planck space telescope has detected two of the largest structures yet spotted in the universe.
- The distant structures are clusters of galaxies located 4 million light-years from earth that are gravitationally bound to each other and measure tens of millions of light-years across.
4 He telleth the number of the stars; he calleth them all by their names. 5 Great is our Lord, and of great power: his understanding is infinite.
26 Lift up your eyes on high And see who has created these stars, The One who leads forth their host by number, He calls them all by name; Because of the greatness of His might and the strength of His power, Not one of them is missing.
When man wants to measure the distance of God's heavens, he must do so in light years - but our God knows the distance by the span!
13 Mine hand also hath laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spanned the heavens: when I call unto them, they stand up together.
15 Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee.
29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing (The smallest copper ? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.
I can boast - THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD
- Is He your Shepherd
- Know Him today