Summary: We can have Still Waters for the Soul if we: REMEMBER 1. To Obey God’s Will 2. Jesus Our Shepherd 3. Promises of God 4. His Priorities 5. His Leading 6. His Grace
The clock is my dictator; I shall not rest.
It makes me lie down only when exhausted.
It leads me to deep depression.
It hounds my soul.
It leads me in circles of frenzy for activity's sake.
Even though I run frantically from task to task,
I will never get it all done,
For my 'ideal' is with me.
Deadlines and my need for approval, they drive me.
They demand performance from me, beyond the limits of my schedule.
They anoint my head with migraines.
My in-basket overflows.
Surely fatigue and time pressure shall follow me all the days of my life.
And I will dwell in the bonds of frustration forever.
- Heb. “Still Waters” - Refreshment, Rest, Relaxation
- Today we call it a retreat
17 And the Spirit and the bride say, Come. And let him that heareth say, Come. And let him that is athirst come. And whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely.
We can have still waters for our life
1. To Obey God’s Will.
13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.
- Water is essential for good health of the sheep
- Sheep’s body composed of 70% water
- Stubborn sheep will stop to drink from filthy, polluted, muddy pools along the trails
- Water can be contaminated with the urine & manure
- They believe it to be the only or at least the best available
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
- Ask - For the wisdom, grace and calm to learn, accept and obey His primary will for your life.
- Abide - Do not try to run ahead of the Lord’s plans for your life.
Illustration:Peter T. Forsythe was right when he said, "The first duty of every soul is to find not its freedom but its Master".
2. Jesus Our Shepherd
- Realize the deadlines of Sin
- Survey the wondrous cross
- Be captivated by the Gospel
- Embrace Life that can fully be found in Christ
- Jesus accomplished 100% of the will of God
- He did not heal everyone. Jesus did not even spend time trying to change the political climate of Roman oppressors.
He Did Say
Mk 4:30-32 - NIV
30 Again he said, “What shall we say the kingdom of God is like, or what parable shall we use to describe it? 31 It is like a mustard seed, which is the smallest seed you plant in the ground. 32 Yet when planted, it grows and becomes the largest of all garden plants, with such big branches that the birds of the air can perch in its shade.”
Look at life through the eyes of Jesus and see what can become through your efforts.
3. Promises of God.
- Some people have tried and come up with about 3000.
- Others have counted 7000.
- Herbert Lockyer wrote a book called All the promises of the Bible and claims to list 8000.
- The problem in numbering them is, what do you do about a promise that contains several parts?
- Do they count as one promise or several?
- It really doesn't matter how many there are.
- What matters is that God has shown that He keeps them all.
2 Co 1:20-22
20 For all the promises of God in him are yea, and in him Amen, unto the glory of God by us. 21 Now he which stablisheth us with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; 22 Who hath also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.
- The last promise found in the Bible:
20 He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus.
- This one is the best yet to come! - The Lord is coming!
- Take an inventory His promises
- Know that He will fulfill everyone.
4. His Priorities
One purpose of the shepherd is to see his sheep grow & thrive
- Be a sheep don’t try to be something that you are not made for
- Worship/Praise – He is our all
- Absolute trust – Look to Him – He will fight our battles
- Continual growth – Feed on His Word
- Seek first his kingdom
5. His Leading
- As kids we dreamed with toys
- Growing older we either stay in the toys or take on the real
- Remain open, teachable and flexible to allow the Lord to mold your character after the image of Christ.