Summary: LIVING IN REALITY ❶ Ps 44:1-3 Remember God Does Give Victory ❷ Ps 44:4-8 Remember God Is Worthy To Be Trusted ❸ Ps 44:9-26 - Remember It’s OK To Ask Why ❹ The Course of Action v. 1,6,8,17,18
Ongoing Study of Rom 8:31-39
Rom 8:36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
Ps 44:22 Yea, for thy sake are we killed all the day long; we are counted as sheep for the slaughter.
- Bed of roses is an English expression, which means an easy and peaceful life.
- Most likely based on a rose representing happiness and love
- The expression is from a line in Christopher Marlowe’s poem
“The Passionate Shepherd to His Love”. - 1588
[And I will make thee beds of roses]
The So Called “Prosperity Gospel”
“Prosperity Doctrine,” “Health and Wealth,” “Name It and Claim It,” or “Blab It and Grab It” (the latter term tends to be used by those who criticize this teaching).
The 50 Most Influential Christians in America,
The Church Report, Jan. 2006
1. T.D. Jakes, The Potter’s House
2. Joel Osteen, Lakewood Church
3. Billy Graham, Billy Graham Evangelistic Association
4. Rick Warren, Saddleback Church
5. Bill Hybels, Willow Creek Community Church
6. Paul Crouch, Trinity Broadcasting Network
7. Joyce Meyer, Joyce Meyer Ministries
8. George W. Bush, President
9. James C. Dobson, Focus on the Family
10. Chuck Colson, Prison Fellowship Ministries
In a Time poll, 17 percent of Christians surveyed said they considered themselves part of a Charismatic movement, while a full 61 percent believed that God wants people to be prosperous.
Here’s how it is sold: God wants you to be rich (and/or healthy), but He can not bless you unless you first send money (also known as a “seed-faith offering”) to whichever televangelist or teacher tells you about this scheme.
- Perfected by Oral Roberts, Kenneth Copeland, Marilyn Hickey, Benny Hinn, Joel Olstein
1) Positive Confession
- You can have what you say
is the belief that if a believer speaks "spiritual" or "faith-filled" words then he can have what he says
Kenneth Copeland in The Laws of Prosperity (p. 98, 101) "You can have what you say!
2) The Gospel of Health
- No believer should ever be sick
"The reason you haven’t been healed is that you don’t have enough faith,"
- "We can write our own ticket with God if we decide what we want, believe that it’s ours, and confess it,"
3) The Gospel of Wealth:
- Poverty cause is sin
- God wills the financial prosperity of every Christian.
- If a believer lives in poverty, he/she is living outside God’s intended will
Was Jesus prosperous?
- Born in a stable
- People wanted to make him prosperous – Declare Him King
- Luke 9:58KJV
58 And Jesus said unto him, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay his head.
- Were the disciples prosperous?
- Matthew, might have been at one time as a tax collector
- Peter and the other fishermen probably made just enough to make ends meet.
- Moses came from a well-to-do background, having grown up in Pharaoh’s household, but he gave it all up to serve God and lead the people of Israel.
- Job was never told why he lost his family & property
- Paul prayed 3 times for his thorn in the flesh - 2 Cor 12:8
9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
- 2 Corinthians 11:27KJV
27 In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.
Romans 8:36 As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
- Quoting Ps 44:22
Psalm 44 — LIVING IN REALITY
❶ Ps 44:1-3 Remember God Does Give Victory
- History provides perspective
- Israel, Moses, & Joshua
- Dangerous to just live in the present
- Not based on how I feel
- Not my Emotions
- We must live with eternity values in view
- Past struggles with wins and losses were done in God’s timing
- He showed himself strong and true
- Ab. Waiting for a son
- David waiting to be King
- Israel ebb and flow with the Judges
❷ Ps 44:4-8 Remember God Is Worthy To Be Trusted
- v. 5 Looking toward the future in confidence
- Showed Himself in the past
- By faith I will stay faithful
- v. 6 I will not trust in my own strength
- v. 8 Boast - Point to him
- Praise - to be thankful
- Forever - My commitment