Summary: This sermon takes a look a major factor which explains why American Christianity is not producing the fruit of transformed lives. When the true gospel is preached there will be good fruit of transformed lives.
#1 The True Gospel
Introduction: American Christianity is in a real crisis. About 73% of Americans claim to be Christian yet so few live a life that is distinguished from how most unbelievers live. I believe that one the major causes of this that there many false gospels being preached from churches today. Christians need to know the difference between the true and the many false gospels.
I. We Must Proclaim the True Gospel
A. Paul warned about a “different” gospel (Galatians 1:6-9)
1. The only true gospel is what Jesus and Apostles preached in the New Testament.
2. There are to be no distortions from the original gospel (Galatians 1:7) Illustration of counterfeit dollars
3. There are to be no contradiction with the original gospel
B. The True Gospel will produce the right fruit or results
1. The right fruit or results. (Colossians 1:5-6)
a) People who respond correctly to the gospel will experience the presence of God with the indwelling of the Holy Spirit
b) People will be “born again”
c) People will experience transformation in there lives
2. False gospels will produce wrong fruit or results
a) George Barna research results of American Christianity, only 1 out of 10 of those who have prayer a pray to receive Christ as savior show any kind of substantial change in their behavior or commitments
b) George Barna research concludes, “most American who confess Christ as savior have a life style indistinguishable from unrepentant sinners”
c) Conclusion: There are many causes for the state of American Christianity. The preaching of false gospels certainly is major factor.
II. What is the True Gospel?
A. The Simple message of the gospel
1. Gospel means “good new”, what is the good news?
2. The good news is that God loves us and has a plan or way for us to be forgiven of our sins and be restored to a right relationship with God.
3. God’s plan of salvation is: God sent His Son Jesus to die on a cross in our place for our sins, was raised from the dead and sits on the right hand of God in heaven.
B. The correct response to the message of the gospel (this is still part of the gospel)
1. You must believe in your heart:
a) The Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God (John 20:31)
b) That Christ’s death fully satisfied God’s justice in paying for our sins (Romans 5:7)
c) That God raised up Jesus from the dead (Romans 10:9-10)
2. Confess Christ as our Lord (Romans 10:9)
3. Receive Christ into our life (John 1:12)
4. Repent of our sins
a) The message of John the Baptist (Mark 1:4)
c) The message of Peter (Acts 2:38)
d) The message of Paul (Acts 17:30, 26:20)
Have You Responded Correctly to the True Gospel?