Summary: A look at the 1,000 year reign of Christ on earth, also known as the millenium.
A Biblical View of the End Times
1,000 YEARS OF HEAVEN ON EARTH
Intro: Revelation chapter 20 mentions a 1000 year period of time 6 times in verse 2-7. This period of time has come to be known as the Millennium. It is a compound word from the Latin which means "1000 years." The millennium is that 1,000 year period of time when the Lord Jesus Christ Himself will rule upon this earth. He will usher in a time of peace, prosperity and righteousness such as the world has not witnessed since before man sinned in the Garden of Eden.
There are many who do not believe in a literal 1000 year reign of Christ. They believe that this is just symbolic language. However, there is more written about this future time than about any other event in the realm of prophecy. It is a time that the Bible refers to in a literal sense and there is no reason to believe that it will not happen just as the Bible says. Therefore, those of us who believe the Bible is to be taken literally believe that there will be a literal 1,000 year period of time during which Jesus Christ Himself will reign as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.
Since there is so much said in the Bible concerning the Millennium, there is no possible way I could cover all the details in one message. Therefore, I just want to skim the surface tonight and look at a few specific areas of this great period of time that will give us a little insight into what will take place during that glorious time.
At this point, it might be good to refresh our memories concerning the order of future events.
1. The Rapture - This is the next event.
2. The Tribulation Period - This will begin after the Rapture of the church.
3. The Judgment Seat of Christ - This will take place while Tribulation is unfolding upon the earth.
4. The Marriage Supper of the Lamb - This too will take place alongside the Tribulation Period.
5. The Second Coming of the Lord Jesus - This event will close the Tribulation and will bring about the Judgment of the nations, Matt 25. The Antichrist and his armies will be destroyed and those who have their faith in Christ will enter into the millennium.
Now, with that information in our minds, let’s look at a few specific areas of the millennial period that will help us to understand it a little better. My friends, I want you to know that this is one thing you do not want to miss for the world! You want to be sure that you are a child of God so that when this time comes to pass, you can join Jesus in His Kingdom and reign with Him for 1,000 years.
I. THE SAVIOR DURING THE MILLENNIUM (vv. 4, 6)
What will Jesus being doing during the Millennium?
A. He Will Be Reigning
• At long last, the Lord Jesus Christ will sit on the throne of David.
o He will rule the world in power, righteousness and glory.
o His reign will usher in a time of peace and prosperity like nothing the world has ever experienced.
o His reign will finally bring justice and holiness to the world.
• The world has never had a ruler like this.
o All human rulers are controlled by their lusts for power, for wealth and for self glory.
o Jesus, on the other hand, will reign in perfect righteousness.
o The millennium will be a time of perfect existence.
B. He Will Be Ruling
• The Bible tells us that Jesus will "rule the world with a rod of iron".
• Like a shepherd, Jesus will guide the entire population of the world.
• However, those who refuse to bow to His authority will be dealt with swiftly and harshly.
• Rebellion will not be tolerated in that day!
C. He Will Be Receiving
• In the day in which we live, the Lord Jesus is viewed as some kind of a comical character by the world.
o He is a poor fool who got Himself killed on a cross.
• However, in the millennial kingdom, He will receive the glory He has always deserved.
o All people from every nation will come and bow at His feet and worship the King of Glory!
o Instead of cursing His name, men will worship Him and shout His praises!
• Isa. 40:5, "And the glory of the LORD shall be revealed, and all flesh shall see it together: for the mouth of the LORD hath spoken it."
• This verse tells us that man will finally be able to look upon the glory of the Lord in that day!