Summary: Eleven steps to successfully navigating the New Year.
11 Steps for 2011
o It is now time to leave the dessert for the promised land
o Joshua was to take them over the Jordan River
o No one over the age of 60 present except Joshua and Caleb
o A whole new generation ready to apprehend the challenge
1. Step out fresh every morning: Then Joshua rose early in the morning;
a. “Early in the Morning” in Joshua
1) 3:1 – before they crossed over the Jordan
a) Opportunity – for a new life
b) The time to begin anew is now
2) 6:12 – before they conquered Jericho
a) Victory – over our enemies
b) Satan needs be “kicked” the first thing out of bed!
3) 7:16 – because of Achin’s sin
a) Confession – put on the whole armor of God
b) Time to make some daily rituals – Morning affirmations, daily rituals
4) 8:10 – to muster the people to fight Ai
a) Encouragement to others
b) Ready to face any challenge for the day
b. Lamentations 3:22-23 22 The LORD'S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.
2. Step out of your comfort zone: and he and all the sons of Israel set out from Shittim
a. Shittim – acacia tree (scourging thorns)
b. Place of compromise – Numbers 25
1) We do everything we can to stay comfortable
2) Hard to step out of comfort
c. How many were called to difficulty
1) John 15:20 20 "Remember the word that I said to you, 'A slave is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also.
2) Acts 14:22 22 strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying, "Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God."
3) 2 Timothy 3:12 12 Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.
3. Step powerfully over hardships: and came to the Jordan, and they lodged there before they crossed.
a. Jordon – it is overflowing its banks (v.15)
1) They had been in the wilderness for 40 years
2) Why could they not wait another 6 months?
3) Any other time would not have afforded a miracle.
b. Hardships allow us the opportunity to see God move
c. Do not run from hardships but rather embrace them as a gift from God.
4. Step in time with God’s timing: At the end of three days the officers went through the midst of the camp;
a. Waiting? No, readying – only three days
1) 3 = completeness
2) Shittim Jordan River (10 miles or 1 day); Rest 1 day; Move on the 3rd day.
b. God’s timing is always right
1) He leads us at the right time
2) They had to wait – even in the face of the flooding banks of the Jordan, they were ready to move
c. Stepping out with God is difficult
1) Biggest trouble – lagging behind
2) Bigger problem – running ahead
5. Step in line with your God appointed leaders: and they commanded the people, saying, "When you see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God with the Levitical priests carrying it,