Summary: Eleven steps to successfully navigating the New Year.
11 Steps for 2011
o It is now time to leave the dessert for the promised land
o Joshua was to take them over the Jordan River
o No one over the age of 60 present except Joshua and Caleb
o A whole new generation ready to apprehend the challenge
1. Step out fresh every morning: Then Joshua rose early in the morning;
a. “Early in the Morning” in Joshua
1) 3:1 – before they crossed over the Jordan
a) Opportunity – for a new life
b) The time to begin anew is now
2) 6:12 – before they conquered Jericho
a) Victory – over our enemies
b) Satan needs be “kicked” the first thing out of bed!
3) 7:16 – because of Achin’s sin
a) Confession – put on the whole armor of God
b) Time to make some daily rituals – Morning affirmations, daily rituals
4) 8:10 – to muster the people to fight Ai
a) Encouragement to others
b) Ready to face any challenge for the day
b. Lamentations 3:22-23 22 The LORD'S lovingkindnesses indeed never cease, For His compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.
2. Step out of your comfort zone: and he and all the sons of Israel set out from Shittim
a. Shittim – acacia tree (scourging thorns)
b. Place of compromise – Numbers 25
1) We do everything we can to stay comfortable
2) Hard to step out of comfort
c. How many were called to difficulty
1) John 15:20 20 "Remember the word that I said to you, 'A slave is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you; if they kept My word, they will keep yours also.
2) Acts 14:22 22 strengthening the souls of the disciples, encouraging them to continue in the faith, and saying, "Through many tribulations we must enter the kingdom of God."
3) 2 Timothy 3:12 12 Indeed, all who desire to live godly in Christ Jesus will be persecuted.
3. Step powerfully over hardships: and came to the Jordan, and they lodged there before they crossed.
a. Jordon – it is overflowing its banks (v.15)
1) They had been in the wilderness for 40 years
2) Why could they not wait another 6 months?
3) Any other time would not have afforded a miracle.
b. Hardships allow us the opportunity to see God move
c. Do not run from hardships but rather embrace them as a gift from God.
4. Step in time with God’s timing: At the end of three days the officers went through the midst of the camp;
a. Waiting? No, readying – only three days
1) 3 = completeness
2) Shittim Jordan River (10 miles or 1 day); Rest 1 day; Move on the 3rd day.
b. God’s timing is always right
1) He leads us at the right time
2) They had to wait – even in the face of the flooding banks of the Jordan, they were ready to move
c. Stepping out with God is difficult
1) Biggest trouble – lagging behind
2) Bigger problem – running ahead
5. Step in line with your God appointed leaders: and they commanded the people, saying, "When you see the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God with the Levitical priests carrying it,
a. Seeing three things – signs of leadership
1) The ark of the Covenant of the LORD your God – the divine authority is in their hands
2) The Levitical Priests – leaders are to lead, and when they step out by faith, you should follow.
3) Carrying it (the ark) – they use it as an example of authority, direction, and appointment.
b. Leaders have a responsibility to be obedient to their leader
1) Hebrews 13:17 (NASB95)
17 Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you.
2) Good leaders lead
6. Step behind your God appointed leaders: then you shall set out from your place and go after it.
a. Good followers follow
b. “Line leaders?” – they did not pick the direction, the path, nor the process, they just lead the line for the teacher.
c. “step out from YOUR place”
1) #3 – hardships?
2) Be ready to move, it is in your best interest.
7. Step obediently with your God appointed leaders: "However, there shall be between you and it a distance of about 2,000 cubits by measure.
a. They were to stay back @ 3,000 feet
b. 3 reasons why
1) The ark was the symbol of God – they needed to keep themselves “holy” from God.