Summary: description of our arrival in heaven
Intro: I was talking to a friend of mine who said he kept a copy of one of his Pastor’s best sermons ever, it was the first 30 minutes in hell. I told him that sounded like a strong sermon and that his pastor could match it with a sermon called the first 30 minutes in heaven. So tonight I will give you the thought the first 30 minutes in heaven, and next Wednesday night we will give a sermon on the first 30 minutes in hell.
First 30 Minutes In Heaven
Background: I imagine these are the most used verses in funeral addresses over the centuries. They offer hope in the face of death, found in Christ. A few years ago the number one Christian song was I can only imagine, it was about how magnificent heaven is going to be. What will someone do the first 30 minutes in heaven.
1. Realize that His grace was sufficient to meet all our needs—2 Corinthians 12:9—the first thing we will realize is that the grace of God through Jesus Christ was sufficient to save us from all of our sins and transgressions. When we arrive in heaven we will realize it wasn’t on our work or merit, but the cross was to us who believe the wisdom of God and the power of God.
2. Know that it was Faith that brought us through—Hebrews 11:6-without faith it is impossible to please God, but He that comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek after Him. We will know that faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen.
3. Sing—it will be worth it all---Romans 8:18-no matter how heavy the cross, no matter how battered the body, soul and mind, no matter the price that was paid while serving the Lord, when you arrive in heaven you will shout unto God with the voice of triumph. You will go running on the hills of glory. You will high five the great cloud of witnesses.
4. You will ask to see Jesus—Philippians 2:9-11—when you arrive it won’t be the golden streets, it won’t be the mansions just over the hilltop, it will be, I want to see Jesus. To kneel down and confess that Jesus Christ is Lord to the glory of God the Father. You will say, O I want to see Him, look upon His face, there to sing forever, of His saving grace, on the streets of glory, let me lift my voice, cares all past, home at last, ever to rejoice.
5. Reunion—2 Samuel 12:22-23 I shall go to him, he shall not return to me. What a wonderful hope we have in Jesus Christ. Those loved ones who have gone on before, we will be re-united with them. When you arrive, when they announce your name, your loved ones will be in that number.
6. Realize our perfected state—I Corinthians 15:51-54 When you get to heaven you will realize a few things right off. You will have no more pain, no more sorrow, no tears, when you see Him you will be like Him. Your corruptible will put on incorruption, and your mortal shall put on immortality. I believe when I get to heaven I will be able to sing on key, dunk a basketball, and fly like an eagle.
7. See your fruit—Matthew 10:42—when you arrive in heaven you will see the fruit of your labor. Many times people never get to see the results of their lives, but when you get to heaven, God will reveal your fruit. All things that are not wood, hay and stubble will receive the rewards of the righteous.