Summary: This series deals with issue of being a Christian in more than name only. These messages are designed to show the believer what it really means to be a child of God and a called out disciple.
We live in a society where oftentimes we allow others to define us by what we say and what we do… We are easily influenced by some and easily impressed by others… Likewise, we often allow others to dictate the life or lifestyle that we live out… But as a child of God, you need to develop a lifestyle that lines up with the Word of God… And so the question is, what does your lifestyle look like when examined under the spiritual microscope of the Word…? IOW, “How you livin….?” You need to understand that as a disciplined disciple, you are required and expected to live a certain… A way that exemplifies the call, conduct, and character of Jesus Christ…
I. THE CONDITION OF A CHRIST LED LIFE (v 1-4)
- Chap 8:1 is a result of chap 7:13-25*
- v1: Only applies to those walking in the Spirit
- v2: Spirit gives you freedom from sin and death
- v3: Law can only deal with flesh; God, through Jesus condemns
(define) sin in the flesh (v1)
- v4: This fulfills the requirement of the law that a penalty be paid.
Those in the Spirit have the penalty paid for them through Jesus Christ.
II. THE CHARACTERISTICS OF A CHRIST LED LIFE (v 5-8)
-Your character ought to reflect your condition (not opposite)
- v5: Flesh attracted (connects with) to flesh…
- v5: Spirit attracted (connects with) to Spirit…
- v6: Flesh = death; Spirit = life and peace
- v7: Flesh (carnality) is against (hostile) things of God
- v8: You can’t operate in flesh and please God
III. THE CONSUMMATION OF A CHRIST LED LIFE (v 9-11)
- v9: Being Spirit filled/ led identifies you w/ Christ
- v10: Your identity w/ Christ nullifies (cancels out, terminates)
your identity w/ flesh
- Your Spirit-man is life because of righteousness
- v11: Your new identity (connection) w/ the Spirit not only gives
you eternal life, but it also give your mortal (physical) body life (power) to move forward in the things of God in and for your life now…!
So the question is: “How you livin…?” Are you living a life that is lined up w/ HS that will bring Glory to the Father…? Are you living a disciplined life that gives you the power and ability to make it through whatever life brings your way…?