Summary: Beginning the season of Advent in preparation to celebrate the arrival of the Christ who was promised to us from the beginning of time
2010 Advent Series – Part 1
Sermon 1 - Mary's Song – 28 November 2010
- This morning, we begin the season of Advent in preparation to celebrate the arrival of the Christ who was promised to us from the beginning of time
- It is a time to glorify God; and we must seek to make Him known always
- Obvious question: “What is Advent?”
- The word Advent means "coming" or "arrival." The focus of the entire season is the celebration of the birth of Jesus the Christ in his First Advent, and the anticipation of the return of Christ the King in his Second Advent. Thus, Advent is far more than simply marking a 2,000 year old event in history. It is celebrating a truth about God, the revelation of God in Christ whereby all of creation might be reconciled to God.
- Background on our story:
- Mary, the mother of Jesus, was with child and visiting her cousin Elizabeth (who was at the time pregnant with John the Baptist)
- Upon her arrival, the baby in Elizabeth’s womb leapt for joy – because even the life in the womb knew the Messiah (YES … there is LIFE in the womb!!)
- Elizabeth exclaimed (Luke 1:45), “Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished.”
- This morning, can we exclaim the same? Can we give thanks and glorify Him who has said that in all things He will be faithful?
- Stand and read Luke 1:46-55 / Pray
- The first thing we must take note of is that our souls too should glorify the Lord
Point 1 - Glorify the Lord (46-49)
- Mary, animated by Elisabeth's address, and being also under the influence of the Holy Ghost, broke out into joy, admiration, and gratitude.
- She knew herself to be a sinner who needed a Savior
- She had to rejoice in God and what He was doing through her
- Psalm 103:1, “Praise the LORD, my soul; all my inmost being, praise his holy name.”
- When we come in contact with the Spirit of the Lord, we too much rejoice
- We must be willing to proclaim who He is in our lives to anyone we meet
- Christmas is the perfect season to give – but to give the gift of Christ to someone
- Consider who you might help this year, or who needs helps right now
- Is there not someone in our lives that could rejoice at the gift of Christ today?
- Mary not only praises God, but confesses also that God knows everything about her (see verse 48-49 – Expound …)
- Her soul is rejoicing at who her God is, and the fact that she bears in her womb the Savior who one day will redeem her overtakes her with joy
- “My soul glories the Lord” – right now, does your soul glorify the Lord?
- Does your soul cry out to sing praises for the One who has paid it all for you?
- TRANS: To glorify God privately is one thing, but we must show Him to all
Point 2 - God’s Mercy is for all (50)
- “His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation.”
- This is a VERY important and pivotal verse that all must hear and understand