Summary: Tonight, we celebrate the most perfect gift ever given to us, Jesus Christ. It is because of His birth and death, that we can be redeemed to God if we accept Him as our Lord and Savior.
2010 Christmas Series
Sermon 5 (Christmas EVE)
- James 1:17-18 says, “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth that we might be a kind of first fruits of all he created.”
- Tonight, we celebrate the most perfect gift ever given to us, Jesus Christ
- It is because of His birth and death, that we can be redeemed to God if we accept
- Stand and Read Luke 1:16-21 / Pray
Point 1 - Who will we tell?
- As we remember the gift of Jesus from God, we must ask, “Who will we tell?”
- Remember the shepherds left their animals immediately because they had to see
-- APP: They did not spend all their time pondering the angels, but left to see Jesus
- The Bible records that when they saw Him, they “spread the word” about Him
-- This means, that these men were the first NT evangelists to share Christ
-- It doesn’t say they went back home to think about it, it says they went to preach
-- And all those who heard these words “were amazed” at the news they shared
- If we will follow the example of these simple men two things will happen:
-- 1. God’s Word will never get old if we will continually dive into it and tell
-- 2. We will be obedient to the Great Commission to share that Jesus died for all
- TRANS: But notice in all the excitement, Mary took a different attitude
Point 2 - What do we treasure?
- The Bible records that Mary treasured all these things in her heart; she pondered
- She’s amazed at how her Son is being worshiped; remembering the angel’s words
- APP: Imagine how our lives could be different if we spent more time pondering God’s things; if we devoted ourselves to the things of God in every aspect of life
- There are glad tidings for ALL because a child has been born to us!
- TRANS: And this child was given the greatest name ever, Jesus
Point 3 – The Greatest Name Ever Given
- We have been given a gift, a gift that none of us could ever repay
- It is a gift that none of us could ever exchange, nor duplicate, nor recreate
- It is the gift of salvation, because the Messiah was born to us this night
- V21 “On the eighth day, when it was time to circumcise the child, he was named Jesus, the name the angel had given him before he was conceived.”
- Remember the angel gave Him this name in Luke 1:31 – His name IS Jesus
-- Hebrews 13:8, “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.”
- Tonight, we celebrate this incredible gift – remembering three things:
-- 1. Jesus was born sinless into this world
-- 2. Jesus died taking on our sin so that we could be forgiven
-- 3. We must accept Him as Lord in order to share in His fellowship
- This child was born to us that our sins might be forgiven if we accept Him
- IMP: There is no other name on Heaven or Earth in which you must be saved
- Have you accepted Him? Have you turned over your entire life to Him?
- If not, you can right at this time be forgiven of your sins and receive Him
-- Moment to reflect