Summary: By faith claim promises that express your belief in God to work restoration, revival, and renewal through His healing
Suggestions For Having a Ministry of Healing According to James 5:14-18
1. Seek the will of God for healing in the context of His greater purposes in scripture. These will include evangelism, discipleship, spiritual maturity, the fruits of the Spirit, and the growth of His church qualitatively and quantitatively.
2. By faith claim promises that express your belief in God to work restoration, revival, and renewal through His healing powers.
3. Pray with several Godly leaders over the person by laying on of hands. This will amplify your prayers in ways that are sanctioned by scripture and the promises of Matt. 18:19,20.
4. Interview the person to see where they stand in relationship to Jesus Christ and His will for their life. You may find that they need to be led to a saving knowledge of Christ before they can be healed of their bodily ailments.
5. Be sure that you are pure in body, mind, soul, and spirit before entering into this act of spiritual warfare. Otherwise you are making yourself vulnerable to all kinds of attacks by the devil. (Eph. 6:10-18)
6. Review the principle reasons for sickness in the scriptures and in this chapter. Sometimes God allows diseases or handicaps to continue for His greater sovereign purposes. ( 2 Cor. 12:9,10)
7. Do not get swept up in the tide of sensationalism in your healing ministry. ON the other hand do not give in to cynicism about those who have the gift of healing etc.
8. Ask God for healing in the name of Jesus and through the power of His atoning blood. This is the basis for all healing and restoration with God.
9. See yourself as a channel of God’s healing power in accordance with His will and timing. Do not expect that you can turn God’s healing touch on whenever you want it. Remember that He is the potter and we are the clay. (Rom. 9)
10. Do not condition or limit the healing to the faith of the sick person. This is a subtle way of telling God that one’s faith is the real reason why people are healed or failed to be restored. God is the sole power for healing. Visit people who you know are ill with several Godly leaders and ask the person for permission to pray for his complete recovery in the name of Jesus. Learn to initiate your healing ministry rather than just wait for people to come to you.
11. Give time in your church services for people to share their physical, emotional, and spiritual needs and pray publicly for their restoration. Claim several promises from the scripture regarding God’s will in restoring people to full health and strength through the power of His name. Often, we do not have because we do not ask. Or we do not get what we ask for because we ask with wrong motives. Public prayer in a church service will reinforce the faith involved in beseeching God to divinely heal in whatever ways He chooses. You may also provide opportunities for private prayer after the service with select elders. This will allow some people to ask for special prayer in the confidence of trusted leaders of the church.
12. Use Psalms, and hymns and spiritual songs in your healing ministry. Remember how David used the power of music in restoring Saul to health and vigor. Choruses, hymns, or scripture put to music have a way of soothing one’s soul. Music lifts the heart and renews the mind in unique ways. Often music has a way of driving out the evil forces and thoughts while replacing them with the triumphant sound of Jesus.
13. Claim your inheritance through your new birth in Christ. Review, with the sick person, all the special privileges that are theirs in Jesus Christ. Read special sections of scripture that reinforce their inherited justification, sanctification, regenerated mind and spirit, new nature, assurance of salvation, hope, faith, love, etc. This will help the person begin to thank God for all the reservoir of resources that are already at their disposal through the power of the indwelling Spirit of God. "If you ask anything according to My name, I will do it that the Father may be glorified." (John 14:14)
14. Foster a climate of faith in God to heal, restore, purify, and repair through the healing process. Do not just pray that the person will be brought back to health. Instead, specifically ask the Lord to purify the person, strengthening them in God’s grace and faith. Help the person realize that all things will work together for good to those who love God and fit into His plans for their lives. (Rom. 8:28,29)
15. Accept and exercise the authority that God provides for us to use us as His channels for healing the sick and casting out demons. Remember that Jesus taught the 70 disciples in Luke 10:9: