Summary: Our plans are destined to fail. God’s plans have a final destination which is to "prevail".
Sermon Study 230 – WHOSE PLAN IS IT ANYWAY?
Key Scripture #1: Jer 29:11-13 For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Key Scripture description:
1. God knows your destiny – before you were born (Jer. 1)
2. God has a specialized plan so you can reach your destiny
3. Plans to prosper you in fruits: (Gal 5:22-23) love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
4. Plans of hope & of a future
5. Plans to fellowship with you in prayer
6. Plans to listen and respond
7. Plans to find God’s presence
Illustrate: Jonah’s Plan
(1) God prepared Jonah’s plan:
Jonah 1:2 "Go to the great city of Nineveh and preach against it, because its wickedness has come up before me."
(2) Jonah set his own plan:
Jonah 1:3 But Jonah ran away from the LORD and headed for Tarshish. He went down to Joppa, where he found a ship bound for that port. After paying the fare, he went aboard and sailed for Tarshish to flee from the LORD.
(3) Jonah’s plan fails:
Jonah 1:15 Then they took Jonah and threw him overboard, and the raging sea grew calm.
(4) God prepares Jonas footsteps to return to His plan:
Jonah 1:17 But the LORD provided a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was inside the fish three days and three nights.
(5) God’s plan prevails:
Jonah 2:1 From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the LORD his God. Jonah 2:10 And the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land. Jonah 3:1 Then the word of the LORD came to Jonah a second time: Jonah 3:2 "Go to the great city of Nineveh and proclaim to it the message I give you." Jonah 3:3 Jonah obeyed the word of the LORD and went to Nineveh. Now Nineveh was a very important city--a visit required three days. Jonah 3:4 On the first day, Jonah started into the city. He proclaimed: "Forty more days and Nineveh will be overturned." Jonah 3:5 The Ninevites believed God. They declared a fast, and all of them, from the greatest to the least, put on sackcloth.
Jonah had a plan to flee from God’s call and deny his calling. Jonah set his plan to go to Tarshish instead of Nineveh. God had a plan for Johan – to teach him obedience. God’s plan for Jonah was not Nineveh. It was to teach him obedience.
GOD’S PLANS ALONE PREVAIL
1. (Prov 16:1) To man belong the plans of the heart, but from the LORD comes the reply of the tongue.
2. (Prov 16:9) In his heart a man plans his course, but the LORD determines his steps.
3. (Prov 19:21) Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.
OTHER PLANS FAIL
1. (Job 5:12) He thwarts the plans of the crafty, so that their hands achieve no success.
2. (Isa 8:10) Devise your strategy, but it will be thwarted; propose your plan, but it will not stand, for God is with us.
3. (Prov 21:30) There is no wisdom, no insight, no plan that can succeed against the LORD.