Summary: Every sin is a dealy sin. Learn about the 15 listed in Galatians and why the fruit of the Spirit defeats these sins.
Sermon Study 260 – FIFTEEN OF THE DEADLY SINS
Gal 5:16 So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. Gal 5:17 For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.
Gal 5:19 The acts of the sinful nature are obvious:
Fifteen of the deadly sins:
1. Sexual immorality (porneia) – translated fornication – word used today is porn – includes all sexual sins.
2. Impurity (akatharsia) - is a broad term referring to moral uncleanness in thought, word, and deed (cf. Eph. 5:3-4).
3. Debauchery (aselgeia) - connotes an open, shameless, brazen display of these evils (cf. 2 Cor. 12:21 where the same words occur; aselgeia is included in Rom. 13:13).
4. idolatry (eidololatreia) - worship of false gods
5. witchcraft (pharmakeia) – modern word translated “pharmacy” – use of drugs for trances in idol worship
6. Hatred (echthrai) - is in the plural form, denoting primarily a feeling of enmity (hostility) between groups - murder.
7. Discord (eris) - is the natural result of “hatred”
8. Jealousy (zeôlos) - refers not to the godly form but to the sinful and self-centered type.
9. Fits of rage (thymoi) - or outbursts of temper, often come as a final eruption of smoldering jealousy.
10. Selfish ambition (eritheiai) - is a self-aggrandizing attitude which shows itself in working to get ahead at other’s expense.
11. Dissensions (dichostasiai) and
12. factions (haireseis) describes what happens when people quarrel over issues or personalities, causing hurtful divisions.
13. Envy (phthonoi) - is an evil feeling, a wrongful desire to possess what belongs to someone else.
14. Drunkenness (methai) - refers to excessive use of strong drink by individuals, and
15. Orgies (koômoi) - probably refers to the drunken carousings commonly associated with such things as the worship of Bacchus, the god of wine.
Galatians 5:21 and the like (list above is not exhaustive). I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
Galatians 5:22-26 - But the fruit of the Spirit is
Gifts from God:
Gifts to others:
Character of God:
Against such things there is no law.  Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires.  Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.  Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.