Summary: We draw the conclusion that the heavens are not brass and the earth is not iron, but we are growing to move in faith.
#2 WHY ARE THE HEAVENS BRASS AND THE EARTH IRON?
By Wade Martin Hughes, Sr.
Psa. 107:15,16, 17
Deut.28:23, And thy heaven that is over thy head shall be brass, and the earth under thee shall be iron.
Psalms 107:15 Oh that men would praise the Lord for His goodness, and for His wonderful works to the children of men!
16. For He hath broken the gates of brass, and cut the bars of iron in sunder.
WHY ARE THE HEAVENS BRASS? DEAF, UNYIELDING, BRAZEN, LITTLE REWARD, UNFRUITFUL, COLD.
Have you ever prayed and felt like God didn’t hear a word you said?
Your emotions can play spiritual games in your head?
David says: "God is here and everywhere I have been God is there."
In a few chapters, David said, "Where are you God, why have You deserted me?"
The difference was not God, the difference was David’s emotions.
YoYo Christianity is not good.
We need to honestly evaluate:
"Why am I here?"
"How can I get back to where God wants me?" (refer to previous part on evaluation)
Heaven never closes, but we can fall from where God wants us; and thus have the effect of the appearance that God is some distance away. But, remember, you decide the distance at which you follow God.
Brass heavens are not God’s creation. Brass heavens / iron earth are man’s creation.
AND THE EARTH IRON? INFLEXIBLE, RIGID, FIRM, UNWILLING, SLAVISH, HARD, INSENSITIVE, IMMOVABLE.
Then there are times or seasons in which we walk, that we feel so alone, even in a crowd?
There are seasons when there is no joy at work?
There are seasons when your calling can become a burden?
There are times that your friends just don’t understand what you are experiencing?
There are seasons you feel like your "help mate" is cold, and the grass looks greener?
There are times that sleep and rest elude you?
You go through long seasons where it seems nobody cares and appreciates you at all?
This is all lies from the enemy.
God loves you. You never walk alone.
Your church, family, and friends love you.
They just fail to communicate this like they should.
While there are curses throwing dark shadows, God has a promise, previously mentioned.
The Holy Spirit is the ever present help in a time of trouble and HE will comfort and guide us to the Rock that is higher than we could ever reach.
Let’s do a quick review:
WHAT ARE THE OUTWARD SIGNS?
Often we cannot see spiritual problems with our eyes.
Often a friend may see we are experiencing a cold season, but they don’t know what to do.
Job’s friends cared, but they enlarged the hurt.
In a brass heaven and iron earth time frame, don’t look to people for the answers. Look beyond.
Here are some physical signs that could be triggers to brass heavens and the iron earth.
(All from Deut. 28)
1. vs.13, head vs tail; when we have authority problems and always seem behind and left out.
2. vs. 16, city / field; there is no contentment and joy any where we go.
3. vs 17, basket / store; when there is never enough to go around.
4. vs 18, fruit--body, spiritual; you seem barren and dry and empty.
5. vs 19, coming/going; you move from place to place and never find any answers or contentment.
6. vs 25, run 7 ways; you never address or correct any habits, you develop a run away spirit. This grows into a quitting spirit.
7. vs 27, no healing; you stay sore, weary, tired, weakened, under attack. 8. vs 28, madness /anger; this spirit of anger grows rapidly today. Our minds have no rest, we have fits, out of control, bad moods, and loose tongues.
9. vs 29, not prospering; little success, chasing rainbows, little growth / increase, failure to thrive.
10. vs 29, oppression; to be weighed down, spirit of heaviness, burdened in spirit and mind.
11. bondage again; (Romans 8:15; Gal. 4:9)
12. in want; (Psalms 23:1)
13. unfaithfulness; (1 Cor. 4:2)
14. powerlessness; (2 Tim.3:5)
15. discouragement on every hand; (Num. 32:9)
16. fault finding, disappointment in all;( Phil. 4:7--8)
17. spirit of complaining/ unthankful (2 Tim. 3:2)
We must identify the external signs of spiritual problems.
Painting the pump will not purify the water.
There is a big difference in white washing and washing white.
Let us search and see if we appear to be fighting brass heavens and the iron earth. If so let us correct our problems and open the windows of heaven.
WHY DOES THE EARTH SEEM AS IRON AND THE HEAVEN AS BRASS?
WHY DOESN’T GOD HEAR? Let us learn as we evaluate our daily walk, where we fall short and correct the problems.