Summary: to defeat the enemy we have to recognize the enemy.
3 FACES OF SATAN
Illustration: Scouting reports from sport teams. Know the enemy and what he looks like. In Vietnam it was
hard to know who the enemy was because they did not always wear uniforms, they did not always have
distinguishing details to point them out. Robin Williams in his portrayal of Adrian Cronhower said this. “WE don’t
know who is the enemy and who is friendly, so we walk up and ask them “ARE you the enemy? and if they answer
yes we shoot them”. Do we know what the enemy looks like?
Thesis: The enemy has, according to scripture, 3 faces. In order to know him we must recognize these faces.
1. The first of these faces is THE SUBTLE SERPENT Genesis 3
a. His main mission is to distract
1. Got the woman to take her eyes off God and on to the fruit Gen. 3:1-6
2. Tried to get Jesus to take his eyes off the Father and onto food Glory
and riches Luke 4:1-12
3. David and Bathsheba 2 Sam. 11
This face is very subtle, look how he takes our eyes off God in our daily living
do an honest accounting of your day, how many hours are spent in prayer and the Word. He uses TV, computer
Internet, telephone etc to get us distracted from the Fathers voice.
TRANSITIONAL STATEMENT: THAT IS ONLY ONE OF THE FACES OF SATAN THE
SECOND OF THESE FACES IS:
2. THE ANGEL OF LIGHT (2 Cor 11)
1. The mission of this face is to deceive
a. False apostles
b. False gospels
c. False religions
1. America does not need more religion there are new ones
coming up every minute
2. This one is accursed like the first one Gal 1
This is only the first two faces there is still a third
3. THE ROARING LION 1 PETER 5:8
the mission of this one is to destroy
1. He tried to destroy David with Goliath, and Saul, and almost succeeded with Bathsheba
2. He tried to destroy Samson with Delia
3. He tried to destroy the church with Saul, and Roman persecution
4. He will try to destroy us, and will succeed if we are not careful.
Now we know what to look for, we need to remain focused on the Father just as Jesus did. By doing so
we will be kept from being distracted, deceive and destroyed.