Summary: This sermon exposes the errors of the "Cheap Grace" gospel.
The False Gospels #2
Introduction: There is a false gospel that has been preached by false prophets since the beginning of Christianity. It has become even more popular today. Those who preach this gospel believe they are preaching the "true gospel".
#2 False Gospels review
I. The “Life Enhancement” Gospel
II. The “Prosperity” Gospel
#3 Sermon False Gospel
III. The “Cheap Grace” Gospel
A. Grace is God’s Unmerited Favor (Ephesians 2:8, 9)
1. We do not have to earn our salvation by works or by keeping the Law.No one, except Christ, has ever fully kept the Law.
2. Salvation is a free gift of God’s grace, free to us but costly to God. Christ gave His life on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins
3. Christ’s sacrifice paid for all mankind’s sins in full, nothing needs to be added.
B. The "Cheap Grace" gospel abuses God’s Grace
1. Some think unmerited grace means unconditional grace
a) God does not give out His grace indiscriminately, without conditions or repentance.
b) God give His grace to the humble. (James 4:6-10)
2. Some believe because God’s grace abounds over sin we can sin freely (Romans 5:20-6:2)Calvin and Hobbes cartoon
Illustration of 1) “Treating” someone to a meal and they take advantage of you by ordering the most expensive meal or two meals. This compares to taking advantage of God's grace. 2) Giving a credit card to your new college student to use "just for emergencies" but they use it for many other things and max out the card limits.
3. Some turn the grace of God in an excuse for sinner indulgences (Jude 1:4)
4. “Just a sinner saved by grace” should not mean “I am sinning just the same as I was before I came to Christ, but now I am forgiven.”
5. Quote from Dietrich Bonhoeffer, author of The Cost of Disciplehsip:He defined “cheap grace” as: “the preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, communion without confession, absolution without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ, living and incarnate.”
C. God’s Grace Empowers Us to be Transformed
1. God’s grace is more than God’s unmerited favor, it is the power of God in us
2. God’s grace instructs us to deny ungodliness and worldly desires (Titus 2:11, 12)
3. God’s grace reigns through righteousness (Romans 5:21, 6:2)
4. God’s grace gives us power to perform every good work (2 Corinthians 9:8)
5. God’s grace empowers us to serve God in unique ways (Ephesians 3:7, 1Corinthians 3:10, 12:6-8)
Are You Humbling Yourself Before God in Repentance and Submission?