Summary: Some guys think that shopping is somehow sinful, but I’m here to tell you that shopping is scriptural. As a matter of fact, the Lord commands us to go shopping in Scripture and to buy at least 3 things.We better find out what they are!
3 PURCHASES WE NEED
1. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, author of the famous Sherlock Holmes stories, once flagged down a cab in Paris. He threw his handbag inside and climbed in after it, but before he could say a word, the driver said, "Whereto, Mr. Conan Doyle?" "How do you know I am Conan Doyle?" asked the author in surprise.
2. "Well," said the driver, "I had read in the newspaper that you were on vacation in the south of France; I noticed you getting off of a train that came from Marseille; I see you have the kind of tan that bespeaks a week or more in the sun; from the inkspot on your right middle finger, I deduce you are a writer; you have the keen look of a medical man, and the cut of clothes of an Englishman. Putting it all together, I felt you must surely be Conan Doyle, the creator of the great detective, Sherlock Holmes."
3. Conan Doyle burst out, "But you are yourself the equal of Sherlock Holmes since you recognized me from all these small observations!"
4. "There is," said the driver, "one additional fact." "And that is?" "Your name is written on your handbag!"
5. Many small traits accumulate to describe who we are. All these details add up.
6. In the passage this morning, the Lord Jesus examines a church for clues to its temperature, and lets them know which temperature He likes best.
B. MALL DESIGN/ SHOPPING FACTS (10)
1. There’re 50,000 shopping malls in the U.S. alone.
2. Women will buy more if they hear their heels clicking on polished hard surfaces, so flooring reflect that fact.
3. Places to sit are hard to find because people aren't shopping when they're sitting.
4. Escalators are placed strategically to force shoppers to pass the maximum number of storefronts.
5. Most malls have bends and turns as shoppers typically won't walk towards something that seems more than one tenth of a mile away.
6. Floor plans are disorienting so shoppers cannot make a quick exit. The average mall shopper stays for 80 minutes and spends $75 each visit.
7. 74% of women admitted that they think about shopping every minute -- about 950 times a day.
8. Shopaholics have fewer wrinkles than those who do not like shopping. The majority of the shopping women feel more confident and almost never feel depressed.
9. Some guys think that shopping is somehow sinful, but I’m here to tell you that shopping is scriptural.
10. As a matter of fact, the Lord commands us to go shopping in Scripture and to buy at least 3 things. We better find out what they are!
“These are the words of the Amen, the faithful and true Witness, the Ruler of God’s creation. 15 I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! 16 So, because you are lukewarm—neither hot nor cold—I am about to spit you out of my mouth. 17 You say, ‘I am rich; I have acquired wealth and do not need a thing.’ But you do not realize that you are wretched, pitiful, poor, blind and naked. 18 I counsel you to buy from me gold refined in the fire, so you can become rich; and white clothes to wear, so you can cover your shameful nakedness; and salve to put on your eyes, so you can see. 19 Those whom I love I rebuke and discipline. So be earnest and repent. 20 Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.” Rev. 3:14-20.
1. Christ examined the love of the Laodicean church and found it to be lukewarm, He pointed out why this condition is so dangerous, and told us 3 purchases we all need to make.
2. The title of this message is “3 Purchases We Need To Make.”
I. CHRIST’S DIAGNOSIS: LUKEWARMNESS
A. CHRIST THE ONLY COMPETENT JUDGE
1. Jesus begins this passage by calling Himself "the Faithful & True Witness."
2. He’s the only competent Judge of our spirituality. Our opinion of ourselves and Christ's opinion of us may be very different.
B. SUPERNATURAL GAZE
1. He searches our hearts and tests our motives and sees beyond the exterior.
2. He inspected the Laodicean church and He's inspecting this church this morning. It's not only true that we’ll all stand before the judgment seat of Christ, it's also true that we DO all stand before it now!
C. HIS FINDINGS
1. Jesus saw a people who were "NOT SO HOT" for Him. In Mt. 24:12 Jesus said that in the last days, "the LOVE of many shall wax cold."