Summary: Understanig Grace in a world that does not know how
- PowerPoint upon Request
- PDF fill-in-the-blanks bulletin insert outline upon
#4 Defining Moments
Begin Again With Grace
America’s relationship with God.
85% considered themselves to be Christians
77% believe there is a heaven
76% say their chances of going are good or excellent
57% of Americans believe salvation is earned through good character or behavior.
USA TODAY: Man on the street survey asking ‘what do you think your chances are of getting into heaven’
- 85%, I don’t think the entrance exam will be that tough
- 50-50, the older I get the more my chances will improve
- 50%, you have to be a nice person so I think I am still in the running
When asked about certain celebrities chances of going to heaven:
O.J. SIMPSON 19%
Dennis Rodman 28% Bad boy basketball player in the NBA. Has talent, tie-dye hair colors, tattoos, and many body piercings.
Bill Clinton 52%
Mother Teresa 79%
Mother Teresa wins on good works but all miss the essential truths about salvation: BY GRACE – THROUGH FAITH – OF GOD
Jay Frank Wilson and the Cavaliers
Number two on the charts in 1964.
The song was the last in a long line of teen tragedies that were popular in the U.S. during the early ’60s
Hyper Link to song
Oh where oh where can my baby be?
The lord took her away from me.
She’s gone to heaven so I got to be good.
So I can see my baby when I leave this world.
Where is GRACE in any of these?
1. Christ the Giver of Grace
- Begin Again With Grace
- Lk 7:41-42
- Pence/Coin - a days wage
Slide - min. wage = $20,600 vs $2,060
- Which debtor represents you?
- What have you got to pay?
- Well, “I want to be saved”
- Put on the credit side
- I have nothing to pay
- v.42 – Forgave them both - GRACE
What Is GRACE
Acronym - God’s Riches At Christ Expense
- Suppose that filthy bum breaks into your home.
- In the course of a robbery, that person kills your child.
Vengeance --You hunt him down yourself and kill him
Justice -- You allow the police to do
their jobs and the person is apprehended and punished
Grace -- You take him into your home
and adopt him as your son or daughter
- The root word for grace in the Greek is charis. This verb means, "I will rejoice and be glad.
- Intoxicated with joy
2. Christ A Lover of Losers
a. Understanding the Past through Scrip
- Sinful women anointing Jesus
- Samaritan Women with 5 husbands
- Invalid who had failed to get his
timing down for 38
- Fishermen failed at fishing
- Woman caught in adultery
- Doubting disciple failed to believe
b. Our Experience in the present
- Here we are today with our problems
- Unhappy with our situations
- Job is difficult with it’s hours and
demands insecure with no future
- Families that do not understand me
- My possessions are breaking down
c. Our Solution is Grace our way
- We have come to cheap grace which
we want to be replaced with the next best thing
- Our focus is always somewhere else
- Seeking forgiveness without repentance
- We want grace without our cross
- We want life without Christ
- Never understanding our debt and
- Eph 2:8-9 calls out