Summary: Paul talks about having "sound" doctrine or faith (1 Tim. 1:10, Tit. 1:13,2:2, etc). The word "sound" in Greek is "hygienic" and means to be healthy. We discuss the 4 steps to being a hygienic Christian.
4 STEPS TO BE A HYGIENIC CHRISTIAN
A. ALL YOU CAN EAT PLACES
1. I think that one of the wisest decisions ever made in the food industry was the idea of the “All You Can Eat Buffet.” Many restaurants only offer this option and it has proven to be very successful.
2. For years, whenever we went out to eat with my (now deceased) Father-in-Law – this was the only type of restaurant he preferred, especially fish/shrimp places.
3. I must admit I’m also a fan of Golden Corral, Ryans, Grand Buffet, and Hartz Chicken Buffet. There are very distinct reasons why many of us like the buffet style restaurants:
a. To see the food before we eat it;
b. Observe the quality of the food beforehand;
c. Choose our portion size according to our tastes;
d. If you want a little extra desert and fewer vegetables- it’s not a problem; you can eat as healthy or unhealthy as you want to;
e. And finally, because it’s ‘All You Can Eat!’
1. According to statistics, less than 1/5 of American believers read scripture daily. If spending time in God’s Word is really so important for spiritual growth, why aren’t more people doing it?
2. It’s pretty evident that many Christians aren’t “healthy” spiritually. Paul said that our knowledge of the Word needs to be “sound” (1 Tim. 1:10), Gr. hygiene. He tells us we need to “hygienic/healthy in faith” (Tit. 1:13; 2:2).
3. So we’re going to look at the 4 Steps to becoming a healthy Christian: 1. Desire the Word, 2. Memorize the Word, 3. Meditate on the Word, and 4. Obey the Word.
4. The title is “The 4 Steps to be a Hygienic Christian.”
I. WHY DESIRE THE WORD?
A. IT GIVES WISDOM
1. God’s wisdom will “prolong your life many years and bring you peace and prosperity.” Prov. 3:1-2.
2. It will “bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.” Prov. 3:8.
3. With God’s wisdom…“You will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble. When you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.” Prov. 3:23-24.
4. God’s “wisdom is more precious than rubies, and nothing you desire can compare with her” Prov. 8:11.
B. IT WILL SAVE YOU FROM JUDGMENT
1. “Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men/ women” Prov. 2:12.
2. “How can a young person keep his/her way pure? By living according to your Word” Ps. 119:9.
3. By God’s Word “your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward….who can discern their own errors?” Ps. 19:11-12.
C. THE WORD IS SPIRITUAL FOOD
1. Job said, “I have not departed from the commands of his lips; I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.” Job 23:12.
2. Jeremiah said, “When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart’s delight” Jer. 15:16.
3. David said, “Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.” Ps. 34:8.