Summary: Almost nothing can come with us from this world to the next. But the Bible records four things from this world that Jesus took back with Him to heaven. To this list you can always add souls!
4 THINGS JESUS TOOK BACK TO HEAVEN
A. HUMOR: WORDS FROM THE WISE
1. A balanced diet is a cookie in each hand.
2. If it weren’t for STRESS I’d have no energy at all.
3. Learn from the mistakes of others. You can’t live long enough to make them all yourself.
4. I know God won’t give me more than I can handle. I just wish He didn’t trust me so much.
5. Someone who thinks logically provides a nice contrast to the real world.
6. Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.
7. If you’re too open-minded, your brains will fall out.
8. Junk is something you’ve kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.
9. My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance.
B. THINGS THAT WON’T BE IN HEAVEN
1. Rev. 21:4, "shall be no more death... sorrow... crying... pain, for the former things are passed away."
2. Rev. 21:27, "shall in no wise enter into it anything that defiles... abomination... lie..."
3. 1 Cor. 15:20, "that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God."
4. Rev. 22:15, dogs, sorcerers, whore mongers, murderers, idolaters and all liars -- "are without."
5. You can't take it with you! The pharaohs couldn't and either can we. [Story of the guy buried in a Cadillac]
C. SO YOU CAN’T TAKE IT WITH YOU
1. Ps. 49:16-17, "For when he dies, he shall carry nothing away; his glory shall not descend after him."
2. 1 Tim. 6:7, "For we brought nothing into this world and it is certain we can carry nothing out."
3. But there are at least four things that Jesus took back to heaven.
1. Joke of the man who put his money in the attic so when he died and the angel came to take him to heaven, he could grab his money on the way up.
2. He died. After the funeral, his wife went to check on the money. It was still there. She commented, “I guess he went the other direction!”
3. TITLE: “4 THINGS JESUS TOOK BACK TO HEAVEN.”
I. HIS WOUNDS
“Then he said to Thomas, “Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe.” Thomas said to him, “My Lord and my God!” John 20:27-28.
1. Anytime we go somewhere, we like to buy something, some little moments those of our trip to remember it by. (Examples -- rain stick, Gourd, coffee cups, Arafat turban).
2. Souvenirs. The only souvenirs Jesus took back from His trip to Earth were His scars and wounds.
B. “BY HIM ALL THINGS WERE MADE”
1. Recent movement -- "buy American." This was emphasized as important for balancing trade and obtaining quality products.
2. All imports must disclose where they are made: "Made in China"... "Mexico"... "Japan"... "Philippines."
3. Everything in heaven was made by God and the angels. Nothing there has "made by man" or "Made on Earth,"
4. Except one thing; the wounds of Jesus. They are the only "man-made" things in heaven.
C. RESURRECTED BODY
1. Jesus, God the Son, has chosen to take on the human body for all eternity. He also chose to allow that body to bear the marks of His love for all eternity -- suffering.
2. In heaven, all hearts will be healed. No one will be maimed.
3. Isaiah 35:5-6 says that the blind will see and the lame will leap.
4. All the amputated feet or legs will be restored and people will appear whole and in their prime, ALL without defect.
5. Not so with Jesus! He will be the only person in heaven
6. Zech. 12:10 tells us that the Jews will identified Jesus as their Messiah (at the 2nd Coming) by the marks of his piercing.
7. We won't have any trouble identifying our Crucified and Risen Savior.
II. THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Hebrews 12:24 “to Jesus the mediator of a new covenant, and to the sprinkled blood that speaks a better word than the blood of Abel.”
A. NO BLOOD IN HEAVEN, EXCEPT JESUS’
1. “…flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable.” 1 Cor. 15:50.
2. “For the life of a creature is in the blood” Lev. 17:11.
3. “A ghost does not have flesh and bones, as you see I have.” Lk. 24:39.
4. IT’S BELIEVED THE RESURRECTION BODY WILL DERIVE ITS LIFE FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT. HUMAN BLOOD IS UNNECESSARY IN HEAVEN. EXCEPT JESUS’!
B. JESUS’ BLOOD SPRINKLED ON MERCY SEAT
1. Lev. 16:15-16 says, “[Aaron] shall then slaughter the goat for the sin offering for the people and take its blood behind the curtain and do with it as he did with the bull’s blood: He shall sprinkle it on the atonement cover and in front of it. 16 In this way he will make atonement for the Most Holy Place because of the uncleanness and rebellion of the Israelites, whatever their sins have been.”