Summary: The soul is in imminent peril of being lost. • The powers of hell are laboring to destroy the soul. From these five avenues the enemy tries to sabotage our soul's salvation 1. UNDERSTANDING-- The eye of the mind, the inlet of knowledge. 2. WILL--
5 AVENUES OF THE SOUL
Sunday, February 06, 2011
28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.
30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.(KJV)
• What is the soul?
• We can’t really describe it, you don’t have a soul, you are a soul.
36 For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
37 Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?(KJV)
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.(KJV)
7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul. (KJV)
a soulself,, life, a creature, a person, an appetite, a mind, a living being, a desire, an emotion, a passion
a) what breathes, the breathing substance or being, a soul, the inner being of man
f) the seat of emotions and passions
g) the activity of mind (uncertain)
h) the activity of the will (uncertain)
i) the activity of the character (uncertain)
5397 neshamah (nesh-aw-maw');breath
from 5395; a puff, i.e. wind, angry or vital breath, divine inspiration, intellect. or (concretely) an animal:
KJV-- blast, (that) breath (-eth), inspiration, soul, spirit.
• God breathed into man…
• Man became a living soul.
• The value of the soul is clearly seen from many considerations.
1. The Spirituality Of Its Nature.
a. The body is a beautiful structure, but only matter.
b. Nothing can be ultimately destroyed; you can only change its form.
2. The Dignity Of Its Faculties.
a. The countenance
b. The hands, fingers and toes.
c. The internal system.
3. The Immortality Of Its Being.
a. As the body has various avenues so has the soul.
• The soul is in imminent peril of being lost.
• The powers of hell are laboring to destroy the soul.
1. UNDERSTANDING-- The eye of the mind, the inlet of knowledge.
2. WILL-- Chooses or rejects things brought before it by the understanding.
3. EMOTIONS OR AFFECTIONS-- Causes to love, desire, enjoy, or delight in things we choose and to fear and hate things painful or not aggreable to us.
4. MEMORY-- The mental capacity for storing up knowledge.
5. CONSCIENCE-- The moral monitor of the soul, which judges and pronounces a verdict on all we do, hear, say, or think.
• The soul is so valuable that God wants it.
• We are accountable and responsible for the condition of our own soul.
109 My soul is continually in my hand: yet do I not forget thy law.(KJV
19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.