Summary: Jesus is equal with the Father and Holy Spirit in nature, separated in person, and submissive in duties.
A. THE ONLY BEGOTTEN SON
“For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life” (John 3:16).
1. The greatest verse:
For God The greatest Being
So The greatest degree
Loved The greatest affection
The world The greatest object of affection
That He gave The greatest act
His only The greatest treasure
Begotten The greatest relationship
Son The greatest gift
That whosoever The greatest invitation
Believes The greatest trust
In Him The greatest object of faith
Should not perish The greatest deliverance
But have The greatest promise
Life The greatest blessing
2. Jesus is equal with the Father and Holy Spirit in nature, separated in person, and submissive in duties.
“You will find a babe wrapped in swaddling cloths, lying in a manger” (Luke 2:12).
1. Jesus existed for eternity, but “became flesh” as a baby (John 1:14).
2. What does a baby need?
g. But his greatest need is love – will you give it to him?
C. FIRST BORN
“But when He again brings the firstborn into the world, He says: ‘Let all the angels of God worship Him’” (Heb. 1:6).
1. Mary and Joseph had no children before Jesus, Mary was a virgin.
2. A mother can give more love and care to the first, no competition.
3. Perfect to be your Savior, “And the Child grew and became strong in spirit, filled with wisdom; and the grace of God was upon Him” (Luke 2:40).
4. First born to every creature, i.e., He gave life to every thing.
5. First born to enter Heaven (Col. 1:18).
6. Because Jesus is first born, He gives you the life of Heaven (Gal. 2:20).
1. God sent Jesus as a babe to grow into full manhood.
2. His parents had to teach Him everything, to talk, walk, motor skills, numbers, etc.
3. His childhood is a model for our growth. “And Jesus increased in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and men” (Luke 2:52).
E. SON OF MARY
“Is this not the carpenter, the Son of Mary, and brother of James, Joseph, Judas, and Simon? And are not His sisters here with us? And they were offended at Him” (Mark 6:3).
1. As the Son of Mary, Jesus received her physical Jewish heritage.
2. As virgin born, Jesus was born without a sin nature, and lived a sinless life (2 Cor. 5:21). He was the unblemished Lamb substituted for your sin.
F. SON OF JOSEPH
“Philip found Nathanael and said to him, ‘We have found Him of whom Moses in the law, and also the prophets, wrote -- Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph’” (John 1:45).
1. Jesus was not raised in the home of a single mother. He had the advantages of a male example, mentoring, counsel, etc.
2. Joseph was the earthly step father and legal guardian.
3. The line of Messiah came through Mary and through Joseph and was blended in Jesus, making Him the Son of David.
4. Joseph endured embarrassing rumors (John 9:41).
5. Philip told his friend that Jesus was the son of Joseph, then he said “Come and see” (John 1:46). Come see Jesus for yourself.
G. THE YOUNG CHILD
“And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshipped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh” (Matt. 2:11).
1. The phrase “young child” means more than babe in arms. He was perhaps crawling or even walking.
2. The wise men didn’t cuddle him, but fell down to worship Him. What will you do?
3. The wise men worshipped with gifts; gold, frankincense, and myrrh. We take baby gifts to the hospital, what will you give Him this year?
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.