Summary: this is a characteristics development of a christian
THEME: Five (5) Good Characteristics of a Christian
PROPOSITION: All Christians, especially us – members of the Assembly of God, must be S W E E T
1. S - hepherds – “Be shepherds of God’s flock. . .” v. 2
• Whenever we saw this letter S in a t-shirt, it always stands for
This letter S – stands for SHEPHERD
The word SHEPHERD connotes the work of a Pastor toward the sheep.
The word itself carries the idea of CARING ONE FOR ANOTHER.
This ministry is not limited to our Pastors only, but this ministry is for - EVERYBODY
2. W – illing – “. . .but because you are willing.” v. 2
• This word carries the idea “that you became a believer NOT because somebody forced you, but it is your OWN PERSONAL decision.”
• Maybe some of you were being forced to something.
• This could also be applied, every time we attended our Worship Services –
• WE MUST BE WILLING not because somebody forced us.
3. E – ager – “…but eager to serve.” v. 2
• Going back to the previous phrase, it says, “not greedy for money, but eager
• TO SERVE.
– The word whatsoever connotes the ff:
4. E – xample – “…being an example to the flock.” v. 3
• There are only two (2) categories in which we could become an example:
• 1. Bad example
• 2. Good example
5. T - riumph - “…you will receive the crown of glory.” – v. 4
• This verse is eschathological in nature
– meaning, we are looking forward to that day, when the Lord will say,
• “Well done thou good and faithful servant, enter into my Kingdom.”
Emphasis - Whatever we can do today, do it for the Lord, because he had already prepared a reward for everyone of us. Halleluyah!
• S – hepherd, - “Be shepherds of God’s flock. . .” v. 2
W – illing - “. . . serving as overseers not because you must, but because you are willing.” v. 2
• E – ager, – “ . . .not greedy for money, but eager to serve.” v. 3
• E – xample,– “ . . . being an example to the flock.” v. 3
• T – riumph, – “. . . you will receive the crown of glory.” v. 4