Summary: Reflecting on the greatness, glory, grace, goodness, and gift of God.
Hook – I stand amazed in the presence of Jesus the Nazarene and wonder how He could love me a sinner condemned unclean. How marvelous! How wonderful! And my song shall ever be: How marvelous! How wonderful! Is my savior’s love for me!
So goes the first verse of the old familiar hymn “My Savior’s Love”
Title – “5 G’s”
• Now, the title “5 G’s” has nothing to do with money
• It doesn’t mean five grand or five thousand dollars
• It’s not talking about the force of gravity experienced in a jet fighter plane
• And it’s also not referring to the latest networking speed
• But rather, I feel like the writer of the hymn “My Saviors Love”
• In that I stand amazed in the presence of my God and my Savior Jesus Christ this morning
• There are many attributes of God that I find amazing
ETS – This morning we will be reading from various passages that speak of some of our God’s amazing attributes.
ESS – We will discover five attributes of God that I stand amazed at this morning which all begin with the letter “G”.
OSS - And my prayer for us today is that not only be grateful for the many blessings that we have, but that we would also stand amazed and grateful for the great God who provides all of those blessings.
I Stand Amazed at:
I. The Greatness of God (Ps. 145: 1-3)
A. The word for Great in this verse means powerful, important, or great in size.
B. The Psalmist says that God is so incredibly huge and powerful that we don’t even have the capacity with our little finite brains to take Him all in.
C. I believe the slang word for large now is ginormous – friends God is ginormous
D. And I’m not sure why, I guess it’s because of our sin nature, but we tend to make God seem small
E. As Christians, we often times live our lives in a way that says we’re greater or know better than God.
F. Now we would never openly acknowledge this and maybe we do this subconsciously but
1. We like to set the terms on how much control our reign God has over our lives.
G. Have you ever known anyone who collects little boxes or have had little decorative boxes in your home? My wife has some of these small decorative boxes in our home
1. I mean these cute little wooden boxes that are covered with carvings, little jewels, or cloth
2. And if you open these little boxes what do you find in them many times?
a) Rubber bands, paperclips, hair pins, spare change, an old breath mint – our minds are like that
b) We don’t have paperclips or old breath mints in our heads but
3. When it comes to our spiritual lives, most of us have a little mental box that we keep God in
4. You see we like the idea of God being powerful and great when we need His help
5. But many times when He begins to convict us about issues in our lives that we don’t want to deal with we put Him in the box – or stop listening to Him