Summary: I preached to crowds and taught the people
Note: The Bible by Jesus will be used throughout this lesson unless otherwise noted after each Bible reference.
1. My name. “My name was called the Word of God” (Rev. 19:13).
2. The content of My speaking. “In the beginning was the Word of life. John said his ears heard Me, his eyes saw Me, and his hands touched Me” (1 John 1:1).
3. I was called a prophet. “The Father will raise Me up as a prophet like Moses” (Deut. 18:15).
4. The Hebrew word for prophet is roah, which means, “a seer.”
a. I had the prophetic ability to see the future. “I predicted the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 A.D. “A time is coming when your enemies will build siege towers against you surround you . . . kill you . . . not leave one stone upon another” (Luke 19:43-44).
b. I had the duty to declare the future.
5. The Greek word for prophet, prothema, which means to tell forth. The crowd exclaimed, “Surely He is that prophet we’re expecting” (John 6:14, NLT).
a. I am the Spokesman for the Father – forteller. “The Father who has life . . . gives it to those who believe in Me” (John 5:26).
b. I am the predictor of the future – foreteller. “I said to Peter, ‘They will stretch out your hand . . . die as a martyr’” (John 21:18).
c. I am the preacher – forth teller. “You have heard . . . but I say” (Matt. 5:27-28).
6. The Old Testament prophets said, “Thus saith the Lord.” I preached, “But I say unto you.”
B. I PREACHED TO CROWDS
2. I was the message. “You have heard it said . . . but I say unto you” (Matt. 5:21-22, 27-28).
3. I had authority. “The crowds were amazed at My teaching . . . I taught with authority” (Matt. 7:28-29).
C. I TAUGHT THE PEOPLE
1. My first two disciples called Me Rabbi (John 1:38), which referred to the content I taught.
2. Nicodemus called Me teacher as a compliment. “We know You are a teacher sent from the Father” (John 3:2).
D. I COMMUNICATED ONE-ON-ONE
1. I showed sin to the woman at the well. “You have had five husbands” (John 4:18). To the woman taken in adultery. “Where are your accusers?” (John 8:10). I was the light that revealed sin. “I am the light of the world” (John 8:12).
4. I was pointed and abrupt. When Nicodemus complimented Me, I said, “Unless you are born again, you cannot see the kingdom of God” (John 3:3).
5. I pointed people to the truth. I told My parents, “Didn’t you know that I must be in My Father’s house?” (Luke 2:49).
6. I rebuked My friends. “Martha, you are worried . . . over details. Mary has discovered the best thing” (Luke 10:42).
7. I followed up My miracles with instruction. “I found him in the temple, and told him, ‘Now you are well, stop sinning because worse things will happen to you’” (John 5:14).
8. The man born blind. “I found him and asked, ‘Do you believe in the Son of Man? . . . he worshiped Me’” (John 9:35-38).
1. Confess your weak faith. “Be not weak in faith” (Rev. 4:19). “You of little faith” (Matt. 8:26).
2. Confess your doubts and unbelief. “I believe, help my unbelief” (Mark 9:24).
3. Let Me guide you. “Except someone guides me” (Acts 8:21).
4. Ask for spiritual insights. “Lord, I want to receive my sight” (Mark 10:51).
5. Let me give you spiritual insight. “Did not our hearts burn as He talked . . . and explained the scriptures” (Luke 24:32).
6. Let Me read about Myself in scriptures. “I spoke to them all the things written in Moses, and the prophets, and the scriptures, concerning Me” (Luke 24:44).
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart: