Summary: The “Spirit of Truth”, another like Jesus, is not only going to walk beside them as Jesus did, but will come and live “in” them.
IN GOD'S IMAGE 52 - THE ADVOCATE
This message is part of a series of 90 sermons based on the title, “In God’s Image – God’s Purpose for humanity.” This series of free sermons or the equivalent free book format is designed to take the reader through an amazing process beginning with God in prehistory and finishing with humanity joining God in eternity as His loving sons and daughters. It is at times, a painful yet fascinating story, not only for humanity, but also for God. As the sermons follow a chronological view of the story of salvation, it is highly recommend they be presented in numerical order rather than jumping to the more “interesting” or “controversial” subjects as the material builds on what is presented earlier. We also recommend reading the introduction prior to using the material. The free book version along with any graphics or figures mentioned in this series can be downloaded at www.ingodsimage.site - Gary Regazzoli
I want you to cast your minds back to your early courting days.
• That time when you couldn’t wait to spend time with that significant other.
• You would think of him during the day, call him on the phone at night or even write letters across the ocean.
• But nothing could compensate for their physical “presence” when you could look dreamingly into their eyes and whisper sweet nothings in their ear.
• Adam and Eve before the fall were in a unique position in that they could enjoy the presence of their Creator on a daily basis.
• It must have been a wonderful experience for both parties as they sat and chatted in the beautiful surroundings of the Garden of Eden.
• But as we know, sin came along and shattered that special relationship.
• Genesis 3:8 (NKJV) And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and Adam and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden.
• This was to be their last personal contact with their Creator as they were driven not only from the garden but also more importantly from the presence of God.
Last time we looked at Jesus’ ascension to the Father after His resurrection where He assumed the threefold office of prophet, priest and king.
• But Jesus had made an extraordinary promise to His disciples before He left them.
• The disciples like Adam and Eve had the delightful experience of enjoying the presence of God, in Jesus, on a daily basis.
• But this privilege came to an abrupt end when Jesus disappeared into the clouds as He ascended back to the Father.
• Anticipating the reaction of the disciples as they were about to be abandoned, Jesus reassured them with the following promise
• John 14:16-21 “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— 17 the Spirit of truth.
• This word, advocate, is best understood to mean, “one who gives support.”
• The type of support given by this Advocate is qualified by the word, “another.”
• “Another” points back to the same type of support that Jesus gave His disciples while He was physically present with them.
• Although He was going away, this replacement, this “Spirit of Truth”, will carry on the ministry begun by Jesus.
Now comes a remarkable statement.
• V.17 … The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
• This “Spirit of Truth”, another like Jesus, yet invisible, is not only going to walk beside them as Jesus did, but will come and live “in” them.
• Up to this point, God had dwelt personally with Israel in the corporate sense through the tabernacle and later the temple.
• But now the promise of God’s presence is expanded to include individuals.
Then comes another remarkable statement.
• V.18 I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
• Jesus repeats His promise not to leave them abandoned, but then in a very Trinitarian statement, says that, He will also be with them through the Spirit.
• V.19 Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.
• This is a reference to the miraculous transformation that occurs to those who welcome Christ into their lives.
• The Spirit as we shall see, opens up a whole new dimension not available to those in the world.
• It is the spiritual insight and awareness brought about by the same Spirit who indwelt Jesus while He walked this earth.