Summary: The church is a family.
THE CHURCH IS A FAMILY… All of us who trust in Jesus Christ: brothers & sisters in the Lord this morning…
• That’s just something you have to get into your mind.
• THE CHURCH, THIS CHURCH, ANY CHURCH… is a family!
• Now I would say we’re a typical family, a normal family.
• Instead of flesh & blood, we’re connected by faith & His blood.
SO AS WE WALK IN HERE KNOWING THAT, we won’t be surprised by the flaws & failures of others.
• No… no way, we won’t get bummed out but, we’ll be ready.
Gal. 6.1-2 Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted. 2 Bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ.
It no longer is a “WHY ISN’T THIS BEING DONE? WHY ARE YOU DOING FOR ME? ISN’T THE CHURCH HERE TO SERVE ME?”
• It becomes, “Here I am, what can I do? Where can I serve? I’m a part of this family. I belong. I want to help!”
It’s true in any family situation, there is often frustrations & friction; pains & problems.
• There are times of deep joy and times of deep pain.
• Yet Jesus has still brought us into this glorious family.
Romans 8.15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father."
• And everyone of you belong here… have a place in the Body.
NOW when tough times come within the family.
• We don’t need to be surprised with them, OR stunned by them.
• There will be weaknesses & frailties in our brothers & sisters.
• But that’s where the AGAPE LOVE of Jesus comes in.
• We’re not just ANY family, but the family of God with His Holy Spirit flowing in and through us!
THE CHURCH IS a family that FUNCTIONS, a family that FOLLOWS, a family that FEEDS on the faithfulness of God.
• YES, the Church is the BRIDE of Christ, waiting for Bridegroom.
• YES, The Church is the PILLAR & GROUND of truth.
• AND YES… the church is a FAMILY. The family of God made up of imperfect, growing, PEOPLE!
• People who Jesus died for & rose again.
• Men & Women for whom He laid his life down.
APP: Have you made the decision to follow Jesus yet? To surrender in repentance. To follow in joy. To have your sins forgiven through the blood of Jesus!? To respond to your need of forgiveness?
John 3.3 Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."
John 6.37 "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will by no means cast out.
John 6.47 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me has everlasting life.
THE FAMILY… and what a great family you guys are! We love you guys so much and just enjoy being a part of the family here!
• SO we come to some practical insights on how to relate with one another in the church.
I. (5:1-2) FELLOW BELIEVERS
1. (1-2) How to treat others.
a. Timothy was a younger man, perhaps mid 20’s, early 30’s.
b. He was young enough, we know, because Paul told him not to let anyone despise his youth.
c. Timothy… be careful as you minister to others.
WHEN Guys are young, there is that tendency to be super-zealous for the Lord and feel as though you have all the answers.
• But as the years with the Lord continue to increase, you realize that you didn’t quite know as much as you though you did.
• I’ve found that I was a lot smarter at 18 than I am now!
• Mistakes happen, faults are revealed, humility comes.
• And wisdom comes from your walk with the Lord.
Prov. 2.6 For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
SO… Don’t rebuke an OLDER MAN
• Don’t chew him out, scold, reprimand an older man.
• Don’t go around giving the older guys a piece of your mind!
• But rather exhort them as a father. Respect & encourage them.
NOTE: Treat the younger men as brothers, respecting those are older and receiving those that are younger.
2. (2) Older Women & Younger Women.
a. The older women can come alongside of you as mothers.
b. Treat them that way Timothy. Respect & honor them.