Summary: exposition on Matt ch 10
8 REASONS TO FEAR NOT
Matthew 10 v. 24 - 42
There is no reason to fear, because of :-
1. Our position v. 24 The disciple is a servant, as well as a son v 25 "of his household." as such:-
(a) There are similarities with the Lord. "they took knowledge of them that they had been with Jesus". - if ye love me keep my commandments
(b) There are sympathies with the Lord - "We love Him because He first loved us"
(c) and there are the symptoms of the Lord i.e. we experience with him :- persecution, power, purity & peace. "All that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution."
2. Our promise v. 26 "for there is nothing covered that shall not be revealed"
(a) This revelation is certain - "God hath appointed a day"
(b) This revelation is soon - "what is your life, it is even as a vapour, that appeareth for a little time"
(c) This revelation is scrupulous - "nothing covered"
(d) This revelation is soverign i.e. the Lord will reveal it," every tongue shall be stopped and all the world will become guilty before God.
3. Our proclamation v. 27 of the word of God, in the will of God, for the work of God. Here we see :-
(a) The invaulable privilege i.e. of hearing God’s voice
(b) The preparatory process i.e. to learn of Him "what I tell you in darkness."
(c) The consequent proclaimation i.e." to proclaim Him upon the housetops"
(1) The peace of His blood
(2) The power of His spirit (to sanctify)
(3) The perfection of His rest, and
(4) The provision of His salvation.
4. Our persuasion v 28 "fear not them which kill the body" - Note:-
(a) Our perception of what the enemy can do i.e.he can kill the body - Jesus was slain
(b) Our perception of what God can do, " which is able to destroy" i.e. Appollumi means- to kill, to torment, to mar, to be lost, to perish, to die, to ruin.
-but never to annihilate
(c) Our perception of what we should do v. 28 "fear Him" the fear of man brings a snare, while the fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.
5. Our protection v. 29 " Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing?" Note:-
(a) The extensiveness of God’s love v. 29 -every sparrow
(b) The intensiveness of God’s love v. 30- hairs numbered (140,000) more or less!!
(c) The intelligence of God’s love v. 31 " ye are of more value than many sparrows."
6. Our profession v. 32 "whosoever therefore shall confess me"
(a) Where? - before men
(b) Why? -
salvation includes it, "if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus"
the word of God assumes it - "let your light so shine",
the Lord of harvest expects it - "go ye therefore",
the day of judgement requires it v. 32 "Him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.",
the sacrifice of Calvary demands it
(c) How? - by your life, by your lips, and by your loyalty - "why call ye me Lord, Lord and do not the things which I say?"
7. Our priorities v. 37 " He that loveth Father or Mother more than me is not worthy of me." Note here :-
(a) The price involved is loving God first,
(b) v. 38 The principle involved - is following him "His cross" we are to be cross led, not self led
(c) v. 39 The prize involved is finding Life " he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it."
8. Our prize v. 40 - 42 we have the assurance of :-
Divine presence" he that receiveth you, receiveth me",
Divine payment, v. 41 " shall receive a prophet’s reward;" and
Divine pleasure, v. 42 - "even a cup of cold water shall not lose its reward."