Summary: The Sonship Names of Jesus
1. The Father’s favorite name for Jesus is Son (Ps. 2:7).
2. Jesus always referred to the First Person in the Trinity as Father, except on the cross.
3. There are 19 Sonship names of Jesus:
a. The Son of the Highest – Luke 16:22
b. The Carpenter’s Son – Matt. 13:55
c. The Son of Mary – Mark 6:3
d. The Son of David – Mark 10:47
e. The Son of Joseph – John 1:45,
f. Son – Matt. 11:27
g. His Son from Heaven – 1 Thess. 1:10
h. My Beloved Son – Matt. 3:17
i. The Son of God – John 1:49
j. The Son of Abraham – Matt. 1:1
k. The Son of Man – John 1:51
l. The Son of the Blessed – Mark 14:16
m. The Son of the Father – 2 John 3
n. The Son of the Free Woman – Gal. 4:30
o. The Son of the Living God – Matt. 16:16
p. The Son of the Most High – Mark 5:7
q. A Son over His Own House – Heb. 3:6
r. The Son who is Consecrated for Evermore – Heb. 7:28
s. The Only Begotten Son – John 3:16
B. SON OF MAN
1. The favorite title of Christ for Himself was Son of Man.
2. The key word in Luke who shows Jesus as a man.
3. The Old Testament phrase “Son of Man” (Daniel 7:13), means (1) Messiah exception, (2) dominion rulership.
C. ONLY BEGOTTEN SON
1. The Old Testament reference (Ps. 2:7), “Thou art My Son; this day have I begotten Thee.” Reference to His eternal generation. This name originates in heaven by the Father.
2. Only three New Testament references to “Only Begotten” (John 1:14): “The glory of the only begotten of the Father” (1:18), “The only begotten Son who is in the bosom of the Father, He hath declared Him” (1:18), “He gave His only begotten Son” (3:16).
3. It means (a) unique, none like Christ, (b) same essence, Christ identical to Father, (c) magnify, honor and inheritance.
D. SON OF GOD
1. We believe in His Deity (Son of God) but more is said about His humanity (Son of Man), because you can’t see the invisible until you understand His humanity.
2. The phrase “Son of” means to have the nature of, as Jews today call themselves Sons of Israel, personifying the nation.
3. The phrase, “Son of God,” does not mean less than God, Jesus is co-equal in nature and co-eternal personality.
4. The Father said, “Thou are My Beloved Son” (Mark 1:11), satan said, “If thou be the Son of God” (Luke 4:3), demons said, “Son of the Most High God” (Mark 5:7), high priests ask, “Tell us whether Thou be the Son of God” (Matt. 26:63), accusers said, “If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross” (Matt. 27:40).
1. When we become children (Teknia) of God (John 1:12), which is regeneration, we get (a) His nature, (b) His eternal life, (c) His ability.
2. When we become sons (huias) of God (Rom. 8:14-17), which is a position, we get (a) new standing, (b) new relationship, (c) new privileges.
3. To be a child of God is experiential, to be a son of God is non-experiential.
If you have never really accepted Jesus as your personal Savior, would you do it right now? Do not delay or put it off. If you would like to receive Christ by faith, pray this simple prayer in your heart:
Dear Lord, I acknowledge that I am a sinner. I believe Jesus died for my sins on the cross, and rose again the third day. I repent of my sins. By faith I receive the Lord Jesus as my Savior. You promised to save me, and I believe You, because You are God and cannot lie. I believe right now that the Lord Jesus is my personal Savior, and that all my sins are forgiven through His precious blood. I thank You, dear Lord, for saving me. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
If you prayed that prayer, God heard you and saved you. I personally want to welcome you to the family of God and rejoice with you.
Video presentations of the PBC are available online at trbc.org/pbc
Television Airing Times for the PBC
Go to hopenow.tv for the current program schedule.