Summary: This sermon speaks about the work of the HOly Spirit in bringing about our sanctificaition. The Holy Spirit counsels us, congregates us (brings us together with other believers), and corrects us.
Transformed by the Power of the Spirit
(Experiencing Sanctification #1)
Introduction: In last week’s sermon I spoke about the work of the Holy Spirit in our salvation. Today I will be speaking to you about how the Holy Spirit works in us after we are saved. Salvation is just the beginning of what the Holy Spirit desires to work in us. The next several sermons will deal with how the Holy Spirit is our agent of change in our sanctification.
The Holy Spirit is our Agent of Sanctification
I. The Holy Spirit Counsels Us (Isaiah 11:2 “Spirit of Counsel”)
A. He Counsels us by teaching us (John 14:26)
1. As we study God’s Word, the Spirit illuminates our understanding
Application: Every time we study God’s Word we need to rely on the Spirit to help us
2. The Spirit can teach us through Spirit anointed preaching and teaching
Application: Always be tuned in to what the Spirit is saying to you during a message or lesson
B. He Counsels us by guiding us into all truth (John 16:13)
1. Reveals the truth to us so we can understand it
2. We come to know (experience) the truth by obeying it
C. He Counsels us by helping us understand God’s ways (1 Corinthians 2:9-14
1. Our natural mind cannot understand spiritual things (2:14)
2. Spiritual things are revealed by the Spirit (2:12-13)
II. The Holy Spirit Congregates Us
A. At salvation we are baptized into the Body of Christ (1 Corinthians 12:13)
1. The spiritual body of Christ (the Church)
2. The local expression of the body of Christ (a church)
Application: It is Satan’s major strategy to prevent believers from congregating together to develop close relationships. Satan divides and scatters.
Application: Any Christian staying away from church is resisting the Spirit
B. The Unity of the Spirit (Ephesians 4:3)
1. It is the task of the Spirit to bring believers together in lasting relationships
Application: We are not to continually be jumping from church to church
2. The Spirit wants to use close lasting relationships with other believers to strengthen and transform us.
Application: We grieve the Spirit when we are divided or avoid getting close to other believers.
III. The Holy Spirit Corrects Us
A. The Spirit exposes our sins
1. A greater awareness of sin is evidence of the indwelling of the Spirit
Illustration: Turning the light on
2. The Spirit works with us in a progressive manner, one sin at a time
B. The Spirit corrects through the revelation (the light) of the truth
1. The Spirit uses the Word of God in personal devotions and preaching
2. The Spirit uses the other believers to speak the truth in love to us
C. The Spirit produces a godly sorrow in us concerning a particular sin
1. We feel uncomfortable about a certain sin in our lives
2. If we confess the sin and repent of it, it is only then that the Spirit can transform us
How Are You Cooperating with the Holy Spirit?