Summary: “DECEITFUL HEART”
Jeremiah 17:5-14 “DECEITFUL HEART” 1. The Question Of The Heart “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?” Heart Revealed Not In ; - Psychology? Sociology? But In Theology v 10: “I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways. . . .” 2. The Character Of The Heart “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?” “desperately wicked?” It translates “incurable.” The problem is irreversible. It is past remedy. terminal. Matthew 13.15, Jesus said, “For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.” Matthew 15.8: “This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.” Romans 1 : 28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. The Apostle gives us a list of 23 sins. 1. Unrighteousness, Fornication and Wickedness - These three categories of sin encompass all those listed below
2. Covetousness- Appetite for the things of other.
3. Maliciousness - ill-will and vengeance.
4. Envy - It is the spirit that wants not only the things that another person has, but begrudges the fact that the person has them.
5. Murder -
6. Debate - A spirit given to fighting!
7. Deceit - lying.
8. Malignity - A spirit so filled with evil, envy and hatred that it loves nothing better than the destruction of another human being!
9. Whisperers - A gossip who seeks to harm another's reputation.
10. Backbiters - this one is done in the open.
11. Haters of God - This is a person who hates the standards and restrictions imposed by God. His goal is to be the god of his own life.
12. Despiteful - A life of defiance that dares God or other men to get in its way. This kind of person is determined to have his own way at all costs.
13. Proud - Self-exaltation.
14. Boasters - A person who brags about what he has or what he has done, even if it isn't necessarily true.
15. Inventors of Evil Things - a person who is tired of sin and seeks new forms of pleasure and excitement.
16. Disobedient to Parents - Watch a rebellious child! He/she is open to all kinds of sinful activity!
17. Without Understanding - They have rejected the truth and have closed their eyes and minds to it!
18. Covenant Breakers - Untrustworthy! Refers to people who will not keep their word!
19. Without Natural Affection - abnormal affection and love, without affection, emotion or love, a lack of feeling for others, or abuse of normal affection and love.
20. Implacable - A person who is unwilling to make peace or come to an agreement.
21. Unmerciful - It is an absence of consideration or feelings for others. Matthew 15.19-20, Jesus said: “. . . out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man.” 3. The Conduct Of The Heart “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?” Heb. 3:12-13 ”Take heed brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God, But exhort one another daily, while it is called Today; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.” I. SIN IS DECEITFUL IN ITS APPRAISAL: Gen 3:4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: (a). SIN IS DECEITFUL IN ITSELF: A. Sin has its principal author - Satan: Jh 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. B. Sin -- Sin is like fire - it burns and destroys, Sin is like rust -- it corrodes, Sin is like dope -- it stupefies, Sin is like poison-- it kills, Sin degrades, debases, & damns -- (b). SIN IS DECEITFUL ABOUT ITSELF: People do not believe in the reality of sin. Rom. 6:23 For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. v. 10 I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings. Sin Pays Insistently, and Consistently, Persistently, Sin pays in installments, & pays in full. Eze 18:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die. II. SIN IS DECEITFUL IN ITS APPEARANCE: Pr 14:12 There is a way which seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death. 1. IT SEEMS RIGHT TO LET OUR HEART LEAD US Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. 2.IT SEEMS RIGHT TO REPAY WRONG Matthew 5:39 But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also. And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain. 3. IT SEEMS RIGHT TO HOLD GRUDGES Matthew 18:21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven. 4. IT SEEMS RIGHT TO MAKE MONEY ANY WAY POSSIBLE Luke 16:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon. 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. But thou, O man of God, flee these things; and follow after righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, meekness. 5. IT SEEMS RIGHT TO BE PROUD Pro. 16:18 Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall. 6. IT SEEMS RIGHT IF WE LIVE A GOOD LIFE, THAT WE SHOULD MAKE IT TO HEAVEN A. Romans 3:10 As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: B. Isaiah 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; C. John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. D. Luke 13:3 I tell you, Nay: but, except ye repent, ye shall all likewise perish. III. SIN IS DECEITFUL IN ITS APPOINTMENT: A. First, it promises satisfaction. Isa 57:20 But the wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt. 21 There is no peace, saith my God, to the wicked. B. Second, sin promises pleasure: Hebrews 11:24,25 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh’s daughter; 25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; C. Third, sin promises liberty: Jh 8:34; Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. IV. SIN IS DECEITFUL IN ITS APPEAL: If you want to be popular, you are going to have to live in sin. Matt. 7:13, 14 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. V. SIN IS DECEITFUL IN ITS APPROACH: We live in a postmodern age. We see all kinds of “high things that exalt themselves against God.” A. There are some things that never change. The Word of God -- Psa. 119:89; Matthew 24:35 The Lord Jesus Christ -- Heb. 13:8 The Ten Commandments VI. SIN IS DECEITFUL IN ITS APPLICATION: Other people might not escape, You will.. don’t believe it! Gal. 6:7,8 Be not deceived; God is not mocked: for whatsoever a man soweth, that shall he also reap.8 For he that soweth to his flesh shall of the flesh reap corruption; but he that soweth to the Spirit shall of the Spirit reap life everlasting. VII. SIN IS DECEITFUL IN ITS APPLIANCE: James 1:14 But every man is tempted, when he is drawn away of his own lust, and enticed.15 Then when lust hath conceived, it bringeth forth sin: and sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth death. 4. The Cure For The Heart v.14 Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise. What must I do to be saved? Some think attainment -- God says atonement, Some think by character -- God says by the Cross, Some think by doing works -- God says by Work Done, Some think by trying -- God says by trusting. Repent:, Believe:, Receive: John 1:12; But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: