Summary: “DECEITFUL HEART”
Jeremiah 17:5-14 “DECEITFUL HEART” 1. The Question Of The Heart “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?” Heart Revealed Not In ; - Psychology? Sociology? But In Theology v 10: “I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways. . . .” 2. The Character Of The Heart “The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?” “desperately wicked?” It translates “incurable.” The problem is irreversible. It is past remedy. terminal. Matthew 13.15, Jesus said, “For this people’s heart is waxed gross, and their ears are dull of hearing, and their eyes they have closed; lest at any time they should see with their eyes, and hear with their ears, and should understand with their heart, and should be converted, and I should heal them.” Matthew 15.8: “This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me.” Romans 1 : 28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; 29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, 30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, 31 Without understanding, covenantbreakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful: 32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. The Apostle gives us a list of 23 sins. 1. Unrighteousness, Fornication and Wickedness - These three categories of sin encompass all those listed below
2. Covetousness- Appetite for the things of other.
3. Maliciousness - ill-will and vengeance.
4. Envy - It is the spirit that wants not only the things that another person has, but begrudges the fact that the person has them.
5. Murder -
6. Debate - A spirit given to fighting!
7. Deceit - lying.
8. Malignity - A spirit so filled with evil, envy and hatred that it loves nothing better than the destruction of another human being!
9. Whisperers - A gossip who seeks to harm another's reputation.
10. Backbiters - this one is done in the open.
11. Haters of God - This is a person who hates the standards and restrictions imposed by God. His goal is to be the god of his own life.
12. Despiteful - A life of defiance that dares God or other men to get in its way. This kind of person is determined to have his own way at all costs.
13. Proud - Self-exaltation.
14. Boasters - A person who brags about what he has or what he has done, even if it isn't necessarily true.
15. Inventors of Evil Things - a person who is tired of sin and seeks new forms of pleasure and excitement.
16. Disobedient to Parents - Watch a rebellious child! He/she is open to all kinds of sinful activity!