Summary: It's about time Christians to recognize the characteristics that must be in you to be a follower of God. all my sermons have a / in them to compress the words of the text.
Pastor Allan Kircher
Shell Point Baptist Church
June 2nd 2013
“It’s about time! WALK AS CHILDREN OF THE LIGHT”
Intro: Eph. chap 5 is all about change.
• Designed/teach us we are different/world around us.
• Now that we are different/should live lives that/different.
The simple truth:
• Believers should be different from those/don’t know Lord.
A brief review/1st seven verses/chapter clearly demonstrate/truth.
• v. 1, commanded to live like God
• v. 2, commanded to love like God.
• V.3-7, commanded to leave this world and its ways behind.
• v. 8 Apostle tells us why we are to be different.
• This is something we need to hear and heed.
• After all, we are living in this world.
We are “Aliens and Strangers” here, 1 Pet. 2:11.
• There was a time when we were citizens of this world.
• We lived like they live. We thought like they think.
• We did what they do. We were part of them.
• But, when we were saved/grace/God
• We were delivered/old life/sin/Given/new life/righteousness.
Even though delivered/world, we still possess deep knowledge of the world and its ways.
There is still a part of us/fleshly part/still desires the things/world we left behind when we were saved.
• Always pressure/saints/God/more like/world around them.
• overt pressure/entertainment/other forms of media for us to do what the world does
• Subtle pressure even/people we love who would like to see us behave a little more like them.
• To see us do the things they do.
• I think these folk do what they do because our lifestyle makes them feel guilty about the way they are living.
Pressure within us/flesh reaches out/things/now forbidden to it.
• We might be saved/still a part of us that loves sin
• That hates the rigors of holiness.
• While there is pressure to go back
• There is also pressure to go forward.
Spirit of God/the resurrected spirit within us want us to be transformed so that we might be what God saved us to be
• That’s why in Rom.12:1–2, God tells us ….
• We studied, v.7, “Do not be partners with them.”
• Verses today teach us how to make that/reality in our lives.
I want take these verses/point out some insights that speak to us about Walking As Children Of Light.
Text teaches us how/become/righteous person God saved us/be.
• We live/hard, dark world/dominated/driven by sin.
• In the midst of that darkness/depravity
• God has redeemed a people.
He has redeemed a people:
• That He expects to be different.
• He has empowered to be different.
• He has called into service for Him.
Rest/Eph. tells us how to make that a reality in our lives.
I. V. 8 HOW WE ARE CHANGED
What We Were - We “were once darkness.”
• Meaning we were lost/darkness/sin/depravity.
• Darkness was where we lived/what we loved.