Summary: Summary: An attitude of joy is an intentional decision followed by a process. This sermon examines some Biblical steps needed for an attitude of joy.
“YOUR ATTITUDE STINKS!”
Tags: Attitude General, Joy, Happy, Fulfillment (add tag)
Intoduction: There was once a young boy who went to spend the week with his grandfather on the farm. While walking around he noticed the chickens, they were scratching and playing around. The little lad said, “They ain’t got it”. Next he saw a colt in the field playing and kicking up its heel’s to which he replied, “He ain’t got it”. After examining all of the animals on his grandfather’s farm and see that none of them had “it”, this boy finally found the old donkey in the barn. When he saw the donkey’s long, frowning face and the way that the donkey just stood there he screamed for his grandfather to come quick. “I found it, I found it” the boy kept yelling. When his grandfather asked what he had found he said, “Pawpaw, I found an animal that has the same kind of religion that you have.”
The attitude we have in church and in our daily lives has an effect on how people perceive us as Christians. If all they see is a long frowning face religion that does nothing what will they think of Christianity? I don’t see Jesus as some long faced; foot sliding, shoulder drooping, and slow talking depressed man. Why would CROWDS be attracted to that? I see Jesus as an enthusiastic, dynamic man full of joy and charisma. If the crowed were attracted to Jesus while He was here on this earth, then doesn’t it make sense that they would be attracted to a church that lifted Him up today?
How to have a bad attitude:
1. Allow your attitude to be based on circumstances.
2. Adapt WHEN and THEN thinking. When I get a new car, get married, get divorced, pay off bills, children in school, get over this physical ailment, I will be happy.
3. Wallow in the pit of worry. What if this happens, what if that happens? Worse case scenario-itice. Spend all your time wrapped up in yourself paralyzed by fear. Don’t even think about a verse like Matthew 6:27.
Matt 6:27 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life[a]?
4. Consistently put your needs above the needs of others. Adapt an it’s all about me attitude. Put your needs above your spouse your children, your co-workers, your friends, above everyone. Be sure when you don’t get your way to throw a fit.
5. Don’t ever get involved in church. You can do the poinsettia and lily thing, show up at Easter and Christmas. Because if you go to church you may spiritually enriched and experience the joy of a relationship with God.
6. Don’t even think about giving to the church. Don’t be a generous person.
That is how to have a terrible attitude, just practice these things and you’ll be there.
3 I thank my God every time I remember you.
The Apostle Paul wrote this letter to the church at Philippi while chained to a Roman Soldier in a Roman prison. He had every right to be discouraged, angry, and upset about his circumstances. But instead he was filled with joy, because his attitude was based on his relationship with Jesus Christ.