Summary: Funeral message for Reta O’Neill, a 98 year old saint in the Church.
1. I want to express to Reta’s family our deepest sympathy in the
loss of your beloved mother, grandmother and great grandmother.
2. But we are also here to join with you in celebration of her
homecoming! For I believe there is a joyous reunion taking place
between Reta and many friends, relatives, and especially a man
named Glenn. Let alone the warm greeting she is receiving from
her Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. If heaven is rejoicing, how can
we not also celebrate and rejoice?
3. About a year ago, while Reta was here visiting, she dropped an
autographed copy of her autobiography to keep in our records for
our church history. I think we should make it one of this years
Missionary books. It didn’t take long, as I read some of the parts
of the book, to discover a common theme, which was really what I
was looking for. I’ve entitled the theme “A Celebration of
Holiness”, which is the title of my message.
Trans...I believe the Lord led me to the 61st Psalm. (Read) It is
a picture of the life of holiness. Celebrating holiness is, first
and foremost, a life of communion.
I. A Celebration of Holiness
A. Celebrating holiness is communion.
1. I’m not talking about communion as a ritual that we practice,
but rather communion as a daily lifestyle. Prayer is a the channel of
faith that brings about the celebration of holiness.
2. The Psalmist cries: “Hear my cry ... listen to my prayer ... From
the ends of the earth I call to You, I call as my heart grows faint....”
3. Reta’ first night alone after Glenn’ death. She wrote: “What
has made the difference is a closer, more personal walk with my
heavenly Father who has given me many promises of His constant
presence.” Oh, how slow I have been in recognizing that God truly
is my constant companion. ‘Thank you, Jesus, for giving me time
to become better acquainted with You.’”
Trans...Another picture of celebrating holiness is obedience.
B. Celebrating holiness is obedience
1. Vs 2 ... “lead me to the Rock that is higher than I. For You
have been my refuge, a strong tower against the foe.”
2. Illus... Glenn & Reta’s courting years. They both came to the
conclusion that their marriage may not be God’s will. Maybe they
were not made for each other. She wrote: “I said goodbye to
Glenn with a breaking heart. I also felt a calmness, having obeyed
what my inner self was saying must be done. It was seven months
before we met again. Glenn was gone but him I did not forget.
Thirty-nine years later - we were parted again but Glenn I have
3. Illus...The premature birth of Jeremy & Jeffery. They thought
the baby might be lost. Reta prayed: “Dear God, if you can’t save
the baby, please spare JoAnne for David and Rochelle’s sake. But
let Your will be done!” (p-138)
4. This is celebrating holiness in the difficult places of life.
Trans... Celebrating holiness also means commitment to His
C. Celebrating holiness means commitment
1. Vs 4 - “I long to dwell in Your tents forever and take refuge in
the shelter of Your wings.”
2. Illus...Obituary: She was a member of the Pleasant View