Summary: Do you remember on the playground when team captains would choose teams? Were you one of the captains, or were you one of the ones picked last? God has chosen YOU – and He picked you FIRST! You are chosen by God!
A CHOSEN GENERATION #1: WORD WARRIORS
“1 Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious. 4 Coming to Him as to a living stone, rejected indeed by men, but chosen by God and precious, 5 you also, as living stones, are being built up a spiritual house, a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. 6 Therefore it is also contained in the Scripture, "Behold, I lay in Zion A chief cornerstone, elect, precious, And he who believes on Him will by no means be put to shame." 7 Therefore, to you who believe, He is precious; but to those who are disobedient, "The stone which the builders rejected Has become the chief cornerstone," 8 and "A stone of stumbling And a rock of offense." They stumble, being disobedient to the word, to which they also were appointed. 9 But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.” (1 Peter 2:1-9).
• You are a chosen generation! What does it mean to be chosen by God?
• ILLUSTRATION: Do you remember on the playground when two team captains would choose teams? Were you one of the captains, or were you one of the ones picked last? I was often picked last. But God has chosen YOU – and He picked you FIRST! You are chosen by God!
• God has called us to the kingdom for such a time as this! We are going to look at this Scripture for the next 3 weeks. This week, we are going to focus on the first three verses.
• “1 Therefore, laying aside all malice, all deceit, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking, 2 as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word, that you may grow thereby, 3 if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is gracious.”
• This morning I want to talk to you about the Word of God – and how He wants us to become Word Warriors!
TEXT: “How sweet are Your words to my taste, Sweeter than honey to my mouth.” (Psalm 119:103).
“Therefore I love Your commandments More than gold, yes, than fine gold.” (Psalm 119:127).
STORY: The new pastor was asked to teach a boys’ Sunday school class in the absence of the regular teacher. He decided to see what they knew, so he asked who knocked down the walls of Jericho. All the boys denied having done it, and the preacher was appalled by their ignorance. At the next elders’ meeting he told about the experience. "Not one of them knows who knocked down the walls of Jericho," he lamented. The group was silent until finally one seasoned veteran spoke up. "Preacher, this appears to be bothering you a lot. But I’ve known all those boys since they were born and they’re good boys. If they said they didn’t know, I believe them. Let’s just take some money out of the maintenance fund, fix the walls, and let it go at that."
BIBLE STORY: Let’s look at someone who was radically changed by the Word: