Summary: This is the 1st sermon in the series "Back To The Basics". This sermon ask the question "What is a Christian?"
Sunday Evening October 13, 2002 Bel Aire Baptist Church
Series: ¡§Back To The Basics¡¨ [#1]
A CHRISTIAN IDENTITY
1. In anything that we do, whether it is working, playing sports, or spiritual things; in order to get better or grow in what you are doing you must know and use the basics.
2. In our study ¡§Back To The Basics¡¨ we are going to learn how to be a good Christian, but before we do that we need to answer the question, ¡§What is a Christian?¡¨
3. Being a Christian is allowing Jesus Christ to live through us. Our goal should be to be more like Jesus everyday.
4. God created us in His image. He wants us to be like Him, but that was ruined because of sin. Sin separates us from God. Let me give you an illustration. God is on a cliff and we are on another cliff. We can¡¦t get to God because we would hit the bottom, but through the cross of Jesus, there is a bridge to God.
5. The only way to God is through Jesus Christ and when we surrender our lives to Him we become a Christian. The word Christian means to be Christ like. We are to die to the old and allow Christ to live through us. For this to happen there must be three things that take place in our lives.
1. We must first realize that we can do nothing to save or change ourselves. Once we realize that we cannot save ourselves then we must have faith that Jesus Christ can save us.
2. What is faith? Faith believes in something although your senses cannot detect it.
3. What must we do to be saved?
„« Repent: This means we need to change directions 180 degrees and go a new direction.
„« Believe the Good News Of Jesus Christ: This means we believe that Jesus died on the cross for our sins, and He rose from the dead. Through His death and resurrection He had victory over sin and death for the whole world.
Our identity as a Christian is we have faith in Jesus Christ. Our second identity is¡K
Remember our text: ¡§I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me.¡¨ Christianity is not a religion it is a relationship and in order to have a relationship there has to be fellowship.
The word ¡§fellowship¡¨ means ¡§partnership¡¨ or ¡§participation¡¨. We are to partner with Christ and participate in what He is doing through us. Faith in Christ leads us to fellowship with Christ.
How do we have fellowship with Christ?
1. Through daily prayer and Bible study.
2. Through corporate worship.
3. Through fellowship with other believers.
We need to also understand that as we strive to be more like Christ that sometimes God grows us through difficult situations and we must be patient. Just as our children take years to grow up physically so do we as God¡¦s children. Our identity as a Christian is we have faith in Jesus Christ, fellowship with Christ, and we¡K
1. Jesus¡¦ invitation to the disciples is the same invitation He gives us today. It is to follow Him.