Summary: A Comparison between Mary and Zacharias and thier responce to the Angel and the Word of the Lord that He had for them.
A Christmas Filling.
Let it be According to your Word (Luke 1:5 - 2:10)
Zacharias -“Yahweh remembers”
Responses: Between God and Man
People respond in Fear –
a. Both were afraid
i. "And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled, and fear fell upon him. But the angel said to him, “Do not be afraid, Zacharias, for your prayer is heard; and your wife Elizabeth will bear you a son, and you shall call his name John." (Luke 1:12-13, NKJV)
ii. "But when she saw him, she was troubled at his saying, and considered what manner of greeting this was. Then the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary, for you have found favor with God." (Luke 1:29-30, NKJV)
b. Others who were Afraid and Calmed.
i. Gen. 15:1 “Abraham do not be afraid”
ii. Dan. 10:12 “Do not fear”
iii. Matt. 1:20 to Joseph
iv. Acts. 18:9 “Paul…do not be afraid”
v. Rev. 1:17 “John…do not be afraid”
c. Both were also Calmed (vs. 13, 30)
d. Both Responded with the right response of Fear and they were calmed.
i. "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge…”(Proverbs 1:7, NKJV)
e. When People Respond in Fear….
God Responds in Favor – (Vs. 11)
f. Zech found Favor
g. At the right side of the altar – the right represents the favor or Grace of God.
i. Come sit at my right hand.
ii. The goats to the left…the sheep to the right.
iii. Is. 40: 10 ‘Fear not for I am with thee, be not dismayed for I am God. I will strengthen thee, yea I will help thee, I will uphold thee with my right hand of Righteousness saith the Lord of Host.”
h. Vs. 13b “your prayer is heard” TWO FOLD PRAYER.
i. The Priestly Prayer of the Redemption of Israel
ii. Possible earlier prayer for a child
iii. Favor of God is expressed in Answered Prayer
i. Interesting (vs. 21) “they marveled that He lingered so long in the Temple”
i. This is the attitude of Most church folks
ii. TRUTH – When your having an encounter with God…the awareness of how long you have been there is irrelevant.
1. "But, beloved, do not forget this one thing, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day." (2 Peter 3:8, NKJV)
iii. In that Day if the priestly prayer was not accepted the priest was killed before the Lord.
1. " Then Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, each took his censer and put fire in it, put incense on it, and offered profane fire before the Lord, which He had not commanded them. So fire went out from the Lord and devoured them, and they died before the Lord. And Moses said to Aaron, “This is what the Lord spoke, saying: ‘By those who come near Me I must be regarded as holy; And before all the people I must be glorified.’ ” So Aaron held his peace." (Leviticus 10:1-3, NKJV)
j. The Names of Zech’s Son was to be John – Means Favor / Grace before Jehovah.
k. Zech. Is Praying – The multitude of people outside praying at the hour of Incense.
i. In a Dark Time people need to pray!
ii. God Answered Prayer
1. Power – Spirit of Elijah
2. Promise – Priestly Prayer for the Redemption of Israel
3. Provision – "And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save (redeem) His people from their sins.”" (Matthew 1:21, NKJV)
l. Mary Found Favor (Vs. 28) “…rejoice highly favored one,”
i. She was closer to Jesus than any other human being
ii. The book of Acts includes her as a woman uniquely gifted to share in her sons Earthly life.
iii. What greater Favor that be chosen as the Earthly mother of God in the flesh.
The Pleasing response of Faith. – Both Mary and Zech. Did not respond the same way.
m. Zacharias Sought a sign (vs. 18 “how shall I know this?” ãéíþóêù [ginosko /ghin·oce·ko/] the greek word has to do with knowing, or understanding – to perceive.
i. Here we see another attempt of Man’s need to inform God?
1. For I am an old man, and my wife is well advanced in years.
n. Zacharias Denied the Source (vs. 19) “I am Gabriel…”
o. Resulted in the same – but Zacharias was Silenced (vs. 20) “because you did not believe my words which will be fulfilled in their own time.”
i. God performed His word – Elizabeth came to be with child
ii. Here’s your Sign – after the baby was born—just as the Angel said it would be…Vs. 59 – 66 read. “so they made signs..”