Summary: As the coming of Christ draws near, what kind of a church is needed?
A CHURCH FOR THE LAST DAYS (Part 2) 2 Tim. 4:1-5
Introduction: What kind of a church is needed as the days of Christ draw near?
1. The COMMAND of the MASTER (v.2a)Preach
2. The CERTAINTY of the MESSENGER (v.2b)Word
3. The CONTENTS of the MESSAGE (v.2d)Balanced gospel
4. The COMMITMENT that must be MADE (v.2c)Be ready
5. The CONCERN of the MISSION (v.3-4)
a)The DANGER (v.3a)
. And the time will come; And it is here!
. 2 Tim.3:1-5; Matt.10:16-18,21-22
b)The DECEPTION (v.3b)They
. The lost & unbelievers
. Have a profession but no possession; Matt.13:5-6
c)The DIFFICULTY (v.3c)not endure
. They will not hold up or hold onto
. They will not tolerate the truth
d)The DOCTRINE (v.3d)
. Sound = healthy; get the word hygiene
. 1 Tim.1:9-10;6:3-5
. Titus 1:9,13; 2:8; Isa. 6:8-10
e)The DESIRES (v.3e)self will / Rom.1:18
f)The DELIGHT (v.3f) heap...
. Look for someone to comfort them
. To justify or overlook their sin; no accountability
g) The DICTATION (v.3g) teachers
h)The DISLOCATION (v.4)Turn
. Turn from God, Holy Spirit,truth, Scripture
. Turn to sin, evil, ungodliness, etc...
. 1 Timothy 5:15; 2 Cor. 4:5
6. The CONCENTRATION of the MIND (v.5a)sober, watchful
. Free of intoxicants; be level headed,balanced
. 1 Cor. 9:25-27; 1 Thess. 2:3-5; Gal. 1:10-11
7. The COST of MAINTAINING (v.5b)Endure hardship
. 2 Tim. 2:3,9; 4:6
. 1 Cor. 11:23-28
8. The CALL to the MASSES (v.5c)
. The call for ALL to be witnesses
9. The COMPLETION of the MINISTRY (v.5d) fulfill
. With eagerness and wholeheartedness
. Colossians 1:25-29; 2 Tim. 4:7
When Christ comes may He find His church faithful!