Summary: It is one thing to have a well thought out belief system, but in the foxholes and trenches of life, we need truth we can easily grasp and lay hold of.
A Clear Perspective: Essentials of Christianity You Can Sink Your Teeth Into
MAIN IDEA: It is one thing to have a well thought out belief system, but in the foxholes and trenches of life, we need truth we can easily grasp and lay hold of.
I. We Can Always Pray Without Wearing God Out (7-11)
1. God does not give us a quota.
2. God has ordained that we will only receive some blessings if we ask ("you have not because you ask not…" James 4:2b)
3. God is out for our best interests
4. We can pray on the spur of the moment, much like we would ask a good dad
5. In the trenches of life, we can pray any time, any where.
II. We Must Empathize With Others (12)
1. Empathy=Golden Rule=putting ourselves in the shoes of another and acting appropriately...
2. Example: the Good Samaritan
3. Jewish saying: "Do not do to others what is odious to you" Hillel
III. Salvation is Through a Relationship To Jesus Christ (13-29)
1. To be saved always means to be in the narrow way (13-14)
2. False teachers are always in generous supply (15-20)
---try to discern by examining fruit---
3. Salvation is not based on achievement, but relationship (21-23)
+++ the issue is, "I never KNEW you…" +++++
Does Jesus know YOU? Do YOU know HIM?