Summary: Sermon deals with the superiority of the new covenant verses the old covenant. Text is Hebrews 7.
Text: Hebrews 7:1-28
Title: “ A Covenant to beat all Others”
Series: “Oh, What A Savior”
I. A SUPERIOR PRIESTHOOD (VS. 1-19).
A. It is a Priesthood of Righteousness (v.2)
1. The High priest is righteous. (2 Ti 4:8).
2. The High Priest imparts righteousness. (Ro 3:25 –26)
B. It is a Priesthood of Peace (v. 2).
1. The High Priest is the Prince of peace.
2. The High Priest gives peace.
a. Peace with God. (Ro 5:1)
b. The Peace of God. (Php 4:7).
C. It is a Priesthood of endless life (v. 16).
1. He is eternal. (1Ti 6:12; John 1:1)
2. He gives life eternal. (Joh 10:27-28)
D. It is a Priesthood that brings us near to the Father (vs. 18-19).
1. By nature we are far from God. (Eph 2:13)
2. Through His cross we are brought near to God. (Col 1:20).
II. A SUPERIOR COVENANT (VS. 20-28).
A. It is a covenant with a superior guarantee (v.22).
1. There is a two-fold guarantee.
a. Jesus is the first guarantee.
b. The Holy Spirit is our second guarantee. (Eph. 1:13-14).
B. It is a covenant with a superior Power
1. The Power to save. (swzw = to rescue from danger or destruction)
2. The power to save to the uttermost. ( pantelhj completely, perfectly, utterly)
3. The power to save to the uttermost all that come to Him. (Joh 6:37).
C. It is a covenant with a superior mediator (v.25b).
1. The Old covenant had a sinful mediator.
2. The new covenant has a sinless mediator. (Heb 9:15; 1Ti 2:5).
D. It is a covenant with a superior sacrifice
(v. 27). (2 Co 5:21)
1. Notice the adjectives that describe the sacrifice in v. 26.
a. Holy = osioj = undefiled by sin, free from wickedness, religiously observing every moral obligation, pure holy, pious
b. Harmless = akakoj = without guile or fraud, harmless, free from guilt
c. Undefiled = amiantoj = not defiled, unsoiled
d. Separate from sinners = cwrizw = to separate one’s self from to depart, go away
e. Higher than the heavens = uyhloj = exalted on high
2. He was offered as our sacrifice ONCE. (efapax = once for all) (Heb 10:12)