Summary: When people speak of "dead churches," they normally mean something derorgatory. However, in this sermon, when I speak of a "dead church," I am speaking about a kind of church that every pastor would love to have.
A DEAD CHURCH?
When people speak of "dead churches," they normally mean something derorgatory. They are usually trying to say that the church services are not as lively as one might prefer, or that the church is not reaching out to the community. However, in this sermon, when I speak of a "dead church," I am speaking of something totally different. I am talking about a different type of "dead church." I’m talking about a kind of church that every pastor would love to have. I’m referring to a kind of church that every preacher would love to preach in. I’m speaking about the kind of church that every true Christian would like to be a member of. When I talk about a "dead church" I am talking about a church that is dead to an old way of life, dead to sin, dead to worldly habits, dead to the flesh, dead to the world, but alive unto God!
TEXT: Gal 2:20 "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." (KJV)
I. DEAD TO SIN
Romans 6:6 Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. (KJV)
A. SIN IS AN "I" PROBLEM
1. sIn is sometimes spelled with a capitol "I" because it is an "I" problem.
2. Sin is an "I" problem because it is selfishness, it is putting self above all else.
3. Sin is an "I" problem because it means removing God from the throne of your heart and making yourself the Lord of your life.
4. We need to get rid of the "I" problem and give Jesus His proper place!
B. THERE ARE FOUR LEVELS OF CHRISTIAN GROWTH
1. 1st Level - "A lot of me" & "A little of You, God"
"They don’t appreciate me. They don’t recognize me."
2. 2nd Level - "Some of me" & "Some of You, God"
"I’ll do this for you God if you do that for me."
3. 3rd Level - "A little of me" & "A lot of You, God"
"I’ve just got these few areas I can’t let go of."
4. 4th Level - "None of me" & "All of You, God"
"I do all things as unto the Lord"
II. DEAD TO THE WORLD
A. PAUL LIVED A SEPARATED LIFE
1. He lived in the world but he was not of the world
2. IT’S LIKE BEING IN A BOAT IN THE WATER
a. You want your boat in the water
b. But, you don’t want water in the boat.
c. You have to live your life in the world
d. But, you don’t want the world in your life.
B. PAUL LIVED A DEDICATED LIFE
1. He was totally dedicated to God
2. Everything he did revolved around his relationship with God
3. IT’S LIKE A BUSINESS BEING SOLD OUT
a. When everything has been sold out, there is nothing left to sell.
b. When you are sold out to God, you can’t be bought out by the world.
III. DEAD TO THE OLD WAY OF LIFE
Eph 4:22 That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts; (KJV)
A. OUR OLD NATURE WAS THE WAY OF THE DEVIL
1. You are either a child of God or a child of Satan according I John 3:10
2. When you become a child of God, your old way of life is legally crucified.
B. WE HAVE TO ENFORCE THE LAW
1. Legally we are dead to the old way of life
2. Legally the old way of life has no rights
3. But that doesn’t mean the old habits and hindrances don’t arise
4. It means when they do arise they are illegal
5. It is illegal to speed but people still do
6. The law has to be enforced
C. THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN LEGAL DEATH AND REAL DEATH
1. Three men participating in army war games were hit with paint pellets which were fired at them
by their opponents.
2. Although they were not injured, according to the rules of the war games they were legally
dead and no longer permitted to participate.
3. The general’s Jeep got stuck and he insisted that they push it out of the mud for him.
4. They said,"We can’t. We’re dead."
5. The General told his driver,:"Go get some of those dead bodies over there and put them under these tires so we can get some traction."
6. They got up and helped the General get his jeep out of the mud.