Summary: Since faith overcomes fear we must trust Jesus in the midst of lifes trails.
Sermon. “Faith that overcomes Fear.”
For those who already have children past this age, this is hilarious. For those who have children this age, this is not funny. For those who have children nearing this age, this is a warning. For those who have not yet had children, this is birth control.
The following came from an anonymous Mother in Austin, Texas.
Things I’ve learned from my children (honest & no kidding):
1. A king size waterbed holds enough water to fill a 2000 sq. ft. house 4 inches deep.
2. If you spray hair spray on dust bunnies and run over them with roller blades, they can ignite.
3. A 3-year old’s voice is louder than 200 adults in a crowded restaurant.
4. If you hook a dog leash over a ceiling fan, the motor is not strong enough to rotate a 42-pound
boy wearing Batman underwear and a Superman cape. It is strong enough, however, if tied to a paint can, to spread paint on all four walls of a 20x20 ft. room.
5. You should not throw baseballs up when the ceiling fan is on. When using a ceiling fan as a bat, you have to throw the ball up a few times before you get a hit. A ceiling fan can hit a baseball a long way.
6. The glass in windows (even double-pane) doesn’t stop a baseball hit by a ceiling fan.
7. When you hear the toilet flush and the words "uh oh," it’s already too late.
8. Brake fluid mixed with Clorox makes smoke, and lots of it.
9. A six-year old can start a fire with a flint rock even though a 36-year old man says they can only do it in the
10. Certain Logos will pass through the digestive tract of a 4-year old.
11. Play dough and microwave should not be used in the same sentence.
12. Super glue is forever.
13. No matter how much Jell-O you put in a swimming pool you still can’t walk on water.14. Pool filters do not like Jell-O.
15. VCR’s do not eject PB&J sandwiches even though TV commercials show they do.
16. Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.
17. Marbles in gas tanks make lots of noise when
18. You probably do not want to know what that
19. Always look in the oven before you turn it on. Plastic toys do not like ovens.
20. The fire department in Austin, TX has a 5-minute response time.
21. The spin cycle on the washing machine does not make earthworms dizzy.
22. It will, however, make cats dizzy.
23. Cats throw up twice their body weight when dizzy
Trials come in many shapes and sizes some times even little ones.
Since Faith overcomes Fear, we must trust Jesus in the midst of life’s trials.
When a man is defeated by life it is always due, ultimately, to the fact the his is suffering from a spirit of fear...The spirit of fear is the real, the ultimate cause of all failure in life, and of all unhappiness. Dr. Martyn Lloyd-Jones.
Why do we fear?
We fear because
1. We fear out of control
2. we feel alone.
3. Because we feel powerless in the face of our trials.
Jesus in verse 40 rebukes his disciples for being shaken by the storm. Jesus here is telling his disciples that there faith would have over come their fear of the storm. In other words it is not the stilling of the storm that determines my peace but really whom I have in the boat of my life. I can over come fear...
1. Since Jesus is in control, we must trust Jesus in the midst of life’s trials
a. Trials are the result of living in a fallen world.
i. Everyone will have trials.
ii. It is only a matter of time.
b. Jesus uses the trials of life for my good, and I must trust his character.
i. The disciples question his character and that is what we tend to do when we are in the same situation.
ii. Jesus lead them out into the storm.
iii. Jesus leads us out into the storms of life so that we will come to know him in the midst of life’s trials.
(1)John Bunyan said, “God never intended that troubles would destroy His people, but that it would be for their glory, to make them shine ant the brighter when they pass through the valley of the shadow of death.”
c. Having peace in the midst to trails mean we must accept Jesus purpose in allowing the trial.
i. John Bunyan “Only a few people when they come to the cross, cry, “Welcome, cross!” But some martyrs have done this at the stake where they were burned. Therefore, if you encounter the cross in your journey, in whatever shape or form, don~t be discouraged and say, “Oh dear, what shall I do now?” Instead, take courage, knowing that by the cross is the way to the kingdom. Can a person believe in Christ, and not he hated by the devil? Can a person profess faith in Christ, sweetly and convincingly, while the children of Satan hold their tongue? Can darkness agree with light?”