Summary: THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FALSE AND REAL WORSHIP.
A false view of worship
Text: Gen. 22:1-19
Intro: Tell what most people think worship is.
If you want to know the true meaning of a word go to the first time it is used in the bible. ( Mark 5 Different from Gen. 22)
Verse 1 says after these things- what things?
To know what true worship is you must know about Abrams life before this.
1. God called him away from his family and all that he knew.
2. He goes to Egypt to avoid a famine.( God called him and then things dried up, Satan will fight)
3.He lies to Pharaoh about his wife.
4.He goes back to Canaan.
5. He has a falling out with a family member( Lot) this aint never happened to any of us.
6. God gives him a promise of blessing. Gen 13:14-18
7. Lot is taken captive by the enemy, (this aint never happened to us.)
8.Abram goes and gets Lot.
9. The King Melchizedek give him a blessing.
10. He refused to take anything the king os Sodom tried to give him.( Children of God don’t need to take worldly things).
11.Gen. 15 God promises a great blessing.
12.The problem with Sara and Hagar.
13.Ishmael is born
14.God gives the promise of Isaac.
15. Angels come and tell Sarah is going to have a child.
16. He finds out that Sodom will be destroyed.
17.Isaac is born, Ishmael is sent away.
( Isaac type of spirit- Ishmael type of flesh)
WHEN THE FLESH IS TAKEN CARE OF THE BLESSINGS COME.
AFTER ALL THE THINGS IN HIS LIFE HE FINALLY GOT THE BLESSING HE HAD BEEN LOOKING FOR.
GOD DID TEMPT- TEST
1. TO WORSHIP GOD YOU MUST LISTEN TO GOD. VS.1
WHY DON’T MOST PEOPLE LISTEN TO GOD?
A) They cant hear him.
47 And if any man hear my words, and believe not, I judge him not: for I came not to judge the world, but to save the world.
48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.
50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.
The flesh will keep us from hearing God.
Abraham sent Ishmael away a type of the flesh.
WE CAN NOT WORSHIP IN THE FLESH.
WE CAN JUMP AND SAY AMEN IN THE FLESH BUT NOT WORSHIP.
There is a difference.
Praise- to give glory
Rejoice-to be "cheer"ful,
Worship- a primitive root; to depress, i.e. prostrate (especially reflexive, in homage to royalty or God):--bow (self) down, crouch, fall down (flat), humbly beseech, do (make) obeisance, do reverence, make to stoop, worship.
I WANT TO HEAR GOD WHEN HE TALKS TO ME SO THAT I CAN WORSHIP HIM LIKE HE WANTS ME TOO.
2. YOU MUST BE OBEDIENT TO GOD. Vs 2&3
Abraham did not say “ tell me that one more time”
“ you want me to do what”
In that day people were doing human sacrifices.
GOD HAD NOT GIVEN THE LAW YET SO ABRAHAM DID NOT KNOW THAT GOD WAS GOING TO STOP HIM.
1Sa 15:22 And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.