Summary: Christian relationships in the Church. (PowerPoint slides to accompany this talk are available on request - email: email@example.com)
Reading: Colossians chapter 3 verses 18 to chapter 4 verses 1:
If you think your family has problems,
• Consider the marriage mayhem created;
• When 76-year-old Bill Baker of London recently wed Edna Harvey.
• She happened to be his granddaughter’s husband’s mother.
• That’s where the confusion began, according to Baker’s granddaughter, Lynn.
• “My mother-in-law is now my step-grandmother.
• My grandfather is now my stepfather-in-law.
• My mom is my sister-in-law and my brother is my nephew.
• But even crazier is that I’m now married to my uncle & my own children are my cousins.”
Quote: Robert Orben:
• Who can ever forget Winston Churchill’s immortal words:
• “We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds,
• We shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills.”
• It sounds exactly like our family holidays.
Our title this evening is A Family Affair:
• The writer (Paul) talks about different relationships that we have;
• Wives & husbands.
• Parents & children.
• Masters & slaves (Employers & employees)
• So those of you who are retired, widowed and have grown up children;
• Are really going to benefit from tonight’s message!
Before we start this section of the letter I want to mention three things about relationships:
(1). RELATIONSHIPS ARE TO BE ROUTINE.
• This is about home life and work life.
• Our faith must work in the everyday affairs of living.
• And there’s nothing more routine than family life and work life.
• But if our faith doesn’t work there then it doesn’t work!
• The Fight, J. White, IVP, pp. 121ff
• Ten Commandments of Home Rule
• (1). If you sleep on it - make it up.
• (2). If you wear it - hang it up.
• (3). If you drop it - pick it up.
• (4). If you eat out of it - put it in the sink.
• (5). If you step on it - wipe it off.
• (6). If you open it - close it.
• (7). If you empty it - fill it up.
• (8). If it rings - answer it.
• (9). If it howls - feed it.
• (10). If it cries - love it.
• More seriously, our faith must work in the everyday affairs of family life and work life.
• If our faith doesn’t work there then it doesn’t work!
(2). RELATIONSHIPS HAVE DIFFERENT ROLES.
• We are talking about roles not rulers.
• Everyone has a defined role:
• Husbands and wives, Parents and children, employers and employees.
• But please remember that everyone is of equal rank.
“Here there is no Greek or Jew, circumcised or uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave or free, but Christ is all, and is in all.”
“There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female,
for you are all one in Christ Jesus.”