Summary: father's day message or just plain any sunday sermon for men.
A FATHER'S RESPONSIBILITY
Pastor Allan Kircher
June 19th 2011
Gen 18:17-19 Seeing that Abraham shall surely become a great and mighty nation, and all the nations of the earth shall be blessed in him? For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the Lord, to do justice and judgment; that the Lord may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him.
Have you ever noticed that on Mother's day we tell Mothers how great they are and on Father's day we tell Father's what they need to do to be great Fathers-it's almost as if a Mother "automatically" becomes great while a Father must continually work at it!!
There are a number of “descriptions" given of a Father. A father is:
-a person who gives his daughter to a man who isn't nearly good enough so he can have grandchildren that are better than anyone else's
A Dad is a fellow who has replaced the currency in his wallet with snapshots of his family.
Someone has said (and I believe it is true) that "A Boy loves his mother, but he follows his father." That places a tremendous responsibility on Fathers.
The home doesn’t need a man in the house, it needs a father!
1. THE PROVIDER-
• Father is charged with providing for the family.
• Paul says that if a man will not provide for his own he has denied the faith and is worst than an Infidel.
• He told the Thessalonians that if a man would not work neither should he eat.
• It is the responsibility of the Father to provide food and shelter for his family.
The entrance of sin into life meant that man had to earn his living by the sweat of his brow.
This turned work into a JOB instead of a JOY.
But then God gave us a "Two edged sword" to allow us to turn our labor into Joy again.
A) The Privilege of providing for a Family- This meets some deep inner need of man and makes him feel complete.
B) The New Birth- It is the presence of Christ in a man's heart that changes work from wearisome into wonderful.
Matt 11:28-30 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”
2. THE PROTECTOR- Families need an Authority Figure.
The lack of such a Figure can be seen in today's society: Suicide, drug abuse, alcoholism, and sexual promiscuity are epidemic among teenagers.
• 20 teens attempt to end their lives every 30 minutes.
• 685 teens become drug users ever 30 minutes.
• 23 teenage girls have abortions every 30 minutes.
• 3 million American teenagers have been treated for alcoholism since 1980.
• 9,000 teenagers are killed each year while driving drunk.
Father's accept the responsibility/be alive in God.
A man inherits some respect but most of it has to be earned by consistent living.
Wives are commanded by God to give this respect to the husband- Eph 5:22, Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
It’s a two way street/ husband acts way he should/wife will…
Eph. 5:33, “However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.
3. THE PUNISHER- Prov 13:24 He who spares the rod hates his son, but he who loves him is careful to discipline him.
Never punish your child when YOU'RE angry- you're not punishing them to satisfy your Pride but for their good.
Compliment and criticize your child's behavior--not the child.
4. THE PATTERN- A man was crossing a field to a tavern one day when he looked behind him and saw his son. "Look dad", the boy exclaimed. "I'm following in your footsteps". The dad immediately turned around and went back home.
• One survey found/both parents/faithful/Lord 93% kids remain faithful.
• If one parent/faithful/figure dropped to 73%.
• When both parents/moderately faithful/53% young remained faithful
• Both parents were only occasional attendee's the figure dropped to 6%.
• These statistics speak a loud and clear message.
• Your children will follow your leading.
5. THE PRIEST- DEU 6:4-9 Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be on your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. 9 Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.