Summary: Building your life on Jesus.
A FIRM FOUNDATION
On what have you built your life? What exactly does your faith, family, and future rest on ? Have you built on a firm foundation that’s unshakable ,unmoveable , or shifting sand that’s shifts with every storm?
Today we live in a world were many are DEMORALIZED, DISHEARTEN, DEFEATED. They have been overcome by sin, sorrow and the storms of life all because they built on Shifting sand.
They built they’re lives on career, wealth, power, relationships, self worth , self sufficiency and when a crisis came, their world fell and great was the fall!
As Christians we know that the foundation of our life is to be Jesus Himself.
Paul writes I Cor. 3:11:
“For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is
laid, which is Jesus Christ.”
Isaiah writes 28:16:
“Therefore thus says the lord God: Behold I lay in Zion a stone for a foundation, a tired stone, a precious cornerstone, a sure foundation; whoever trust in Him will never be dismayed.”
Tonight as we ponder this question “On what have you built ” ? I want us to consider what Jesus himself had to say on this subject. My prayer is that you and I might gain some insight on just what is a firm foundation ? and how we can stand no matter the storm.
24) “Therefore whoever hears these sayings of Mine, and does them, I liken him to a wise man who built his house on the rock;
25) and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it did not fall, for it was founded on the rock.
26) “But everyone who hears these sayings of Mine , and does not do them, will be like a foolish man who built his house on the sand:
27) “and the rain descended, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house; and it fell. And great was its fall.”
Let me set the scene for you... Chp. 5 Vs 1 we read
1) And seeing the multitudes, He went up on the mountain, and when He was seated His disciples came to Him.
2) Then He opened His mouth and taught them,saying....
And Jesus goes right into the Beatitudes. He teaches on Marriage, prayer, service, loving your enemy, pleasing God, Fasting, Worry, Judging, Salvation and much more! Chapters 5,6,7, He’s sharing with the multitude the word of God. As He get to the end of His message He basically says NOW THAT YOU’VE HEARD YOU HAVE ON OF TWO CHOICES. Obey or Disobey!
And in Vs 24-27 He paints a vivid picture that depicts the significance of that choice.
Notice if you will.....
I. THE WISE BUILDER: Vs 24
HERE IN VS 24&25 JESUS SPEAKING TO THE MULTITUDE SAYS... HE WHO LISTEN AND OBEYS IS WISE.
THE FEAR OF THE LORD IS THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM; ALL WHO FOLLOW HIS PRECEPTS HAVE GOOD UNDERSTANDING.
AS CHRISTIANS OUR RELATIONSHIP W/ JESUS SHOULD GO BEYOND JUST CLAIMING HIS NAME!
*WE SHOULD LOVE HIM *MEDITATE ON HIM
*BE DEVOTED TO HIM * BE IN TUNE W/ HIM
BEING WISE IS SIMPLY UNDERSTANDING
-WHO JESUS IS - WHAT HE HAS DONE- WHAT HE WILL DO
0UR WISDOM AS CHRISTIANS REST IN GOD; NOT MEN !
IF YOU FEEL YOU LACK WISDOM THEN TAKE JAMES ADVICE